I know it is MY problem, and I will get over it. But sometimes people just bug me! Which is a problem since I am a people person. Thayne is the one that really could care less if he was around people... I used to like people. Maybe it is the stress. If I had a dog I could say that the more I know people the more I like my dog. But I don't have a dog and with my OCD I really don't care for dogs. So what does that say about people???
Can somebody please explain to me why people say things without thinking about what they say?
Last night we went to dinner with the other bosses from Thayne's job. Every single time I see one of the guys there, he asks me if 15 is finally the number and are we done yet. I can't help it. I am like a rebellious child when I get asked that and always say, "Never say never" because it just bugs me. WHAT does it matter if we are done? He doesn't feed them. We always get at least 5 minutes worth of questions about if/when/will we have more children. I get curiousity, but we all know what it did to the cat!!!
But that isn't the worst of it. I recently saw a lady in the store that I haven't seen for a while. She asked if I had another baby. Yes.... 3 months ago. Then, after just asking if I had HAD a baby, she said she heard we had problems with him. Yes, we did. She then says.... I kid you not.... she said that it was likely because I had so many kids that it finally caught up with me and he got the BAD GENES!!! Apparently for anyone interested, you only get so many sets of 'good genes' and then they run out and the poor kids at the end get the bad genes! She then mentioned that maybe I was so old now that my genes are worn out and it must be the reason that he had reflux problems. Because I was 39 when I had him!!!!!!!!!!
Okay.... I could even go for the 'old' theory. So what do you say to the young moms who have kids with the same problems???? But really. This woman is a mother. You can't tell me that as a mother she has never felt any 'mommy guilt'.... so let's see if we can add a whole heaping helping of guilt to a mother who has already wondered, "Did I do something wrong? Could I have prevented it? Was this my fault?" UGH.... really!!! I wonder if we all learned to think before we speak, wouldn't the world be a better place???
Just wondering!!!!!!!!!!!
4 comments:
Hi Kim,
I found your blog off Babycenter from the December 07 board. I was due December 1st even though my little one was born November 19th.
I just wanted to say I think it is great you have 15 children. And even with only two I get asked if we are done yet. As someone who wants a large family, I probably should get used to that question but I doubt I ever well.
Just remember those questions when you are literally surrounded by all your children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren and the love in the room simply overflows out the windows and under the doors!
Kim,
I don't like people either, so it's not just you. And you know anyone of your kids could have had problems. My third has rotting teeth at three. Does that mean he go bad genes? Not. That lady was so wrong in so many ways. She must have gotten some bad common sense genes then. You just don't say those things.
You have a beautiful family & I am in awe of the family you have!
How you don't pound people some days is beyond me. I'm not a "pounding" type, but good gracious why do people feel the need to be in your business?!?!
I totally get what you are saying. As you know we lost #6 as an infant to congenital heart disease. When we informed my in laws we would be ttc #7 my own mother in law actually had the nerve, stupidity, or whatever it was to say "Maybe Alex died because God was trying to tell you that you have too many kids"
How's that for a nice cup of mommy guilt for ya!
Kat
Post a Comment