I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Monday, September 17, 2012

An end of an era

Today was an end of an era...
And I am trying very hard to control the tears.
It's crazy, really.
Because I know that the step we are taking is right,
I just wish it wasn't so hard, or so emotional.
I have tried to ignore this day...
tried really hard!
Pretended like it would never come,
But it came anyway!

So this day has been spent fighting back tears.
Or not
(fighting them back I mean!)
I tried to fight them off...
and after the 4th (or so) pumpkin chocolate chip cookie,
I just gave in and cried.

I wondered why it bothered me so much
that Thayne is quitting the mine.
Then it hit me.
Except for the first two years of our marriage,
my life has pretty much revolved around mining.
My earliest memories are of being on the West Desert...
my dad was mining there.
I remember being very small and going underground with my dad.
I remember looking up and thinking the lights above
were stars, shining in the middle of the day.
My love of 'underground' started then...
and it has never really gone away.
I was not much older than Nate is now, running around the desert
outside of Lovelock, with my little brother.
Another mine.
It's what we knew.

Some women like a man in uniform...
Me?
My heart always beats a little faster
when I see my man in diggers.

We are leaving the familiar, and stepping into the unknown.
And while I know that this IS a good thing,
the right thing,
it is a scary thing!
It's different.
I know it is right, and I know that the Lord gave us this chance...
a chance for growth beyond anything we ever considered before.
So why do I feel like I want to stomp my feet and shake my fist
and demand to know why this hit us out of the blue,
with such surety that we couldn't deny it...
 it's NOT what we wanted.
Not what we asked for.
Couldn't we just go blissfully along???
The Lord sure has a great sense of humor!
I know He knows that I wouldn't necessarily go looking for growth.
Growth makes us uncomfortable.
Yet here we are,
ready to step into the darkness,
waiting once again to see the light.
Ready to see the amazing things out there.

I have absolutely no idea what this new job entails.
But I know that I am married to a man
that can accomplish the impossible.
And that is all I really need to know because
I love to watch him shine!

So today,
I drove to the mine,
and cried.
I watched my husband walk up to the gate to let me in,
my heart was kind of sad,
and I had a hard time not crying as he walked out of his office.
I think, if we are honest, he was having a hard time too.
When I looked at his hard hat on my lap as we drove away,
I did cry.
And so did he.
But then we smiled...
Ready
Set
GO!

Let's see where this new adventure takes us!!!

1 comment:

Sandra and Rob said...

I am so excited for you guys. And I cant wait to hear about the next adventure you will take. EXCITING!!!!