Over a month or so ago a little town not far from here had an earthquake. Thayne and I were in Utah but the kids felt it. Several times after we felt aftershocks. Usually it happened early in the morning and our bed would shake for a few seconds and then it was over. Thayne and the boys have been over helping the town rebuild. That's the neat thing about our area. If anything bad happens everyone jumps right in and helps each other out. Our church was the first there and had meals prepared for the town and brought in supplies. It's a great thing to work together and help each other out. Our stake president spent a lot of time talking about the need to be prepared. Of course in the Church we have been told to be prepared for a wslong as I can remember. We do really well and then something comes up and we end up using our food storage. Which I guess is the whole purpose of having a food storage. One year we lived off of our storage for several months. We had a lot of medical bills and had to pay for prescriptions out of pocket and wait to be reimbursed. It felt good to have that and know that we didn't have to spend very much at the store and was able to get by with what we had. It's now time to stock up again.
And our family has taken the challenge to get prepared for the future again... Everyone that works is now donating to the family fund. It's fun to see how everyone giving a little adds up quickly to be a lot! And I LOVE case lot sales at my favorite store. I love to see how much I saved on my receipt. I dwent shopping this morning and filled my car with cases of food. I spent $250 but I also SAVED $250!!!! It's so fun to shop like that!
Yesterday mornig the house was quiet. Everyone had stayed up late the night before watching movies. It's spring break. And finally they slept in!!! But at 6:12 am another aftershock hit. I had 4 little ones in bed with me and they slept right through the bed shaking. But that's okay... we have been told forever that if we are prepared we shall not fear. I guess the little ones have nothing to fear!!! :)
3 comments:
Yikes! I think I would be in panic mode. I think earthquakes would scare me to death.
Woo hoo on the bill! Always great saving a bunch of money!
That's amazing! (((HUGS))) I want to go get stocked up again! Thanks for the reminder.
Hi Kim - I have been thinking about you and this subject quite a bit lately. I have been working hard on trying to stock up on our food storage, and it is just really hard becuase the food goes so fast, and it is quite expensive. I "only" have 8 kids, and they are all under 10. I can't imagine how fast food must go in your home with all the teenagers, and almost twice as many people. I think it's great that the ones with jobs are chipping in - I hope my kids grow up to have priorities like that!!
Post a Comment