I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Friday, March 14, 2008

Kimberli Nichole

It's hard to believe that 19 years ago we were able to welcome our beautiful baby girl.... Kimi was born on March 13th, sharing her birthday with her aunt Tammy. After 2 boys I was thrilled to know we were having a girl. We have seen so many miracles in our lives. Kimi was definately one of them. She was born with the cord wrapped 3 times around her neck. She was black when she was born, not breathing and completely lifeless. I remember the silence for minutes in the delivery room. I finally asked, "Was it my little girl or not?" I didn't believe she was alive, I just wondered if it had really been a girl. For some reason my doctor then started working on her minutes after birth and finally they were able to get her going. She kept having problems and they told us she had a heart defect and an infection (later learned that she had strep, it was before they tested for it, now it is easily treated with antibiotics while in labor). I remember thinking how badly I wanted to raise this little girl, and how scared I was that I wouldn't be able to. It was decided that she would go by life flight to Primary Children's. We lived in Price, Utah at the time. I was all alone in the room with her praying. I remember praying that she would be fine, and then I realized that I needed to pray for what was right, not for what I wanted. I was watching her and I remember telling the Lord that I wanted to raise her, but if it wasn't to be, let her not be in pain. And then I told the Lord, "Thy will be done..." and peace washed over me. Funny... at the time I didn't know if that peace was that she would live, or that I would be okay if she didn't. I just knew I felt absolute peace. Thayne and my dad rushed home from the mine to give her a blessing and it was beautiful. It spoke of the tests coming back negative and that she would be healed. Thayne and I waited for the helicoptor to take off but my mom and dad had left early and met the helicoptor there. The first thing that doctor wanted to know was why they had sent a healthy baby there. Apparently from the time she left, to the time she got there, her heart was healed, or something. All we know was it wasn't the same heart. They said maybe the hospital messed up on the x-rays. As if they sent the wrong x-rays. We knew it was a miracle. After every test imaginable they sent her home with a healthy heart. They did tell us that she would likely never function normally. She had gone without oxygen for so long that they believed it had caused some brain damage. Aside from a few minor learning disabilities, she is amazingly normal and wonderful! She has to try a little harder than some, but she is always willing to work hard and do what she needs to do to overcome. She learned to walk fast in order to keep up with her brothers. She learned to ride a 2 wheel bike at 3 because she wanted to keep up with her brothers. She is amazing in every way! And now she is 19. The time has truly gone by so quickly it amazes me. One day we wondered if we would ever see this day... and the next, here she is! She has so many gifts and talents. People are constantly amazed at how she is with children. They are drawn to her, they love her and she loves them. She has an ability to love and accept others no matter what or who they are. She has been a joy to watch grow and we will forever be grateful that we got to watch her grow!

1 comment:

Jena9286 said...

God Bless you Kim. I enjoy reading your memories of the day your kids were born. What as gift you have for story telling. Hope all is well with your family.