So... now you may be wondering WHY I made 90+ enchiladas? Or not... but since this is MY blog I will tell you anyway! I watch 2 of Katie's girls on school days while she is doing her student teaching. She also has college classes a couple of nights a week. She is wearing out and working too hard. Not like she has a choice, but still. She happened to mention that she came home to a messy house, a husband asleep and worst of all, no dinner! Now... I will mention that her husband is a good husband, but when you are overworked and tired, things like a sleeping husband and a messy house is enough to put a woman over the edge! So I thought to myself, "I think I will make her some of our favorite chicken noodle soup!" Yes... I know it's a far cry from enchiladas, I'm getting to that! I also have another friend that is going through a tough time and I offered to bring her dinner tonight too. And I always make enough soup to feed 3 families so the plan was perfect! Until.... until Tiffany text me and asked if there was anyway I could make a pan of enchiladas because she really wanted some. I told her I was making soup. She said it was okay, she was just craving them. Well... she IS the mother of my first grandbaby, so what was I supposed to say? NO?! Yeah, that wasn't an option! So, back to the store we went (because I had already had Kailee shop for the soup this morning!) and after taking Hayden to the doctor for a sinus infection, and after dropping Kami and Nae Nae off at kindergarten, we got home and I started cooking! And I cooked! Tiffany was working at the video store until 3pm, so I got her pan done so the girls could drop it off to her when they took Kassi to work. I made a pan for Katie's family and 2 pans for my other friend, and 3 pans for us. Including Thayne's special order with onions and olives since most of the kids don't like the onions in chunks on top! 3 1/2 hours after starting I put our 3 pans in the oven and started slicing tomatoes and lettuce! Several kids were off and eating elsewhere or the 3 pans would have been gone immediately but we have left overs tonight! And our sweet friend Karen came over and got some too. So there was a whole lot of enjoying the enchiladas tonight! And THAT makes it all worth it!!!
Some asked for a recipe. Well... you see this is why Tiffany asked me to make her some... because I couldn't give her a recipe. I rarely to never use recipes because, hmmmm... it's hard to use recipes that feed 4, or 6 people, so after looking at a recipe I just try it out, mess with it and then make things from memory of whatever it was I came up with! I cheat a lot too! My enchiladas are just hambuger with diced green chilies (mild for us!), garlic, onions, pepper, a little seasoning salt... I cook the shells in oil for a couple of seconds and then put refried beans and the hamburger on, roll them up, put them in a pan, use your favorite enchilada sauce, I use cheddar and monterey jack cheeses. Bake on 350 degrees for about 30 minutes and top with lettuce and tomatoes... some of the kids like salsa on it, others like sour cream and more cheese! But that's it, that's all... and everyone loves them! I told the kids I was taking pictures before they ate them all... but before I could even get the pictures half of the first pan was gone!



4 comments:
Mmmm...yummy.
Do you ever make white sauce enchiladas? My kids adore them, but I hardly ever make them because of the work, just like you said!!
Yes... but I use white sauce for turkey or chicken enchiladas and since Thayne thinks he hates chicken... I make them even less... though the kids LOVE them!
Those look so dang good...I really WOULD have met you half way to get a pan yesterday!!!
Those look so good!!!!
Post a Comment