I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Wednesday, December 25, 2019

December 25, 2018

We were shutting down the house last night and I stood alone in the living room looking at the stocking and all it represents.
  It  was finally quiet after a day full of family.  
 It’s amazing that one personality can add so much,
 or leave so empty the space in a home.
   The second Christmas wasn’t easier.
  In fact in many ways it was harder somehow.  
The peace I feel doesn’t take away from the fact that Thayne and I went to a grave
 and cleaned off a headstone on Christmas Eve 
instead of wrapping his presents.  
Sometimes it’s easy to pretend he’s just off on an adventure 
like the kids in Oregon or Utah or Idaho.  
Sometimes I talk and I can hear him answer.  
Angels are real. 
 They’ve always been real to me.  
There have even been times I feel his arms around me.  
Yet... he isn’t here.  
He won’t walk through the door.  
Instead of buying Christmas presents for him, 
I made sure we donated some in honor of him.  
Today I don’t want to be strong. 
 Today I want to be sitting on a beach, 
with nothing resembling Christmas to make me feel this way.  
Today I want to hide away and not feel like I am walking through sludge. 
 Today my mother’s heart aches for all the loss in this life.  
Today I am also grateful for the reason we celebrate.  
Because He lived, and died and lives again,  
I will be able to wrap my arms around him one day.


1 comment:

DenimAngel said...

Thinking of you at this time.