I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Friday, May 30, 2008

The DMV....

There is no place in the world that can bring people from every walk of life together like sitting in the DMV. There is also no place in the world that can be more infuriating than the DMV. Today I got to once again experience the.... um.... joy of sitting in the DMV. There was the silver haired grandma who looked like she wanted to cry when they told her she could register her vehicle on the computer (what??? a computer? How do I use the computer?) or the gangster wanna-be who had to keep pulling up his pants and giving us all a wonderful view of his underwear. Or the guy sitting next to me that is now my new best friend, complete with mohawk, piercings and the nude woman tattoo on his arm but asked oh so politely if he could borrow my pen. There was also the new dad (who also borrowed my pen) excited about his 5 week old child. And the kid who had something poking out of both sides of his lip that reminded me of a catfish somehow! There was the lady with the walker there to get her handicap sticker and the two guys trying to get their license reinstated (I didn't even want to know what they did to lose it in the first place. From the looks of them I could probably guess... except you can't always judge them by their appearance!) There was the clean cut businessman, several construction workers, an old cowboy with a nice, big belt buckle and an old hippie. There was the grumpy 60 something woman who chewed out the workers for allowing somebody to go to the front of the line (hey, they had a pass!)... and let me tell you about the line. Several months ago somebody there came up with the brilliant idea to make two rows of chairs.... long rows! You sit on the last chair available and then as they call somebody up, everyone gets up and moves. Imagine musical chairs, only there is no music, and no running around to keep your chair... just an endless row that goes on and on and everyone shuffling to the front of the room.

Another really fun thing is to see government in action... Everyone WILL take their break even if there are 75 people standing in line! They did and there were! Yep, when we walked in there were 6 women at the counters. Within a 30 minute time period we moved ONE chair and 4 of them went on break while 2 stood in the same cubby helping each other!

Another entertaining thing is to watch the faces of those that walk into the DMV during this time. Some expressions are utter shock and dismay. Still others who haven't been in since they changed to the music chair routine walk in circles for several minutes trying to figure out where they are supposed to be. Some are full of fear because they only have so long to be there and they look at their watch a million times, sometimes to have to turn around and leave when they realize that only one person has been helped in 30 minutes! Some show nothing but anger and disgust. It feels kind of like being in grade school. And then you FINALLY get up to be helped and the women there usually treat you like you are in grade school.

So, we FINALLY make it to the front of the line. After signing my name on several documents I am told to go back and get in line again........ YES... I AM SERIOUS! And the line is twice the size of when we got there the first time and waited 2 hours to get through. I get back in line and wait, and wait. Finally Garrett shows up and asks if I want to take the kids and go and he will wait in line. I say YES... YES.... YES!!!

For what reason did I suffer through such torture you might ask? Well... today Kailee is officially 15 and a half! In this state, being 15 and a half is very special. Because it is the day you can get your learners permit! So, I gladly took my punishment so I can proudly say that my 6th child is now learning to drive! Remind me to call my doctor and get something to help with the nerves!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Kailee!!!!

No comments: