It seems impossible to believe that Hayden turned 12 on April 7th. This is a BIG birthday! 12 years old! I know, I was thinking the same thing... just yesterday he was a newborn baby and when I blinked, he hit this milestone that kind of blows me away.
He has such a tender heart. There isn't a night that he doesn't come in and give us a kiss and a hug goodnight. His family means the world to him. He has the most intense spirit... a not so friendly teacher once complained that he reads too much nonfiction and knows too many facts. As if that is possible! How does one know too many facts??? But facts are important to him. I love how his mind works. He loves to discover exactly how something works and once he reads something, it is committed to his memory forever!
The beginning of the year brought some changes for us. We decided to home school Hayden and Wyatt during middle school. For some reason, middle school just doesn't seem to be a great fit, and I wanted very much to pull Hayden in and give him more one on one time. I was worried exactly how it would work. I can't explain it really... just that Hayden has a very intense personality (did I say that already???) and I wondered if we would clash spending so much time together during the day. What??? It's a legitimate concern! :) It had the opposite effect though! He seems to thrive. The online program they are doing is amazing, and he gets to move on as soon as he masters the concept. Regular school is a one size fits all adventure. And Hayden definitely is not a one size fits all kind of kid. One of the reasons he asked me about home schooling is because he feels that too much time is wasted in school... he is pretty straight forward. Get in, learn what you need to and get on with it. He also HATES to sit still. As in, sitting still is probably worse than torture. Being at home allows him to get on the computer and do his work, and then he gets to go out and do things that really interest him. He gets to move... he gets to ride his bike and build forts and dig in the mud at the marina. He is learning French. But most of all, I have seen him thrive by being home. The stress of the school day is gone. And for that, I am happy!!!
Turning 12 means receiving the Aaronic Priesthood. And moving on from Primary... being in the Young Men's program at Church and being able to go to the temple. All of those things he got to experience in the past couple of weeks and he is so happy and so excited! His dad was able to ordain him a Deacon and it just amazes me to see Thayne, and the boys standing together for such an amazing thing. I can't wait to see what the future holds for Hayden. I want him to know that he is such a gift to us, to the family. I will be forever grateful for all that I have learned by being his mom!
No comments:
Post a Comment