I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Saturday, March 20, 2010

10 + 10 + 2 = 22

Yes, 10 + 10 + 2 = 22.... at least that is what one obnoxious dad decided to put on his son's brownies he wanted for his 22nd birthday (instead of a cool cake said 22 year old's mom wanted to get him!!!) 22 years! How in the world did this happen? Have I said that before? 22 years ago I became a mom for the second time, on March 19th at the end of the BYU basketball game... to which I was kind enough to hold off pushing while the doctor enjoyed the victory... I gave birth to this son that has been a constant source of joy to me! Again, how did that happen. So often I see the boy within the man standing before me. And it makes me smile! Jace has gone through so much in the last 4 years, but finally... FINALLY I see the Jace that was there before the bad stuff happened, before he lost his friend, before he felt pain that he shouldn't have had to feel that young, in that way! But now I see the spark again, I see the joy he gets in living, I see him vibrant and happy and strong... and it makes me smile! There are so many reasons to be smiling now... so many wonderful things to look forward to this year. So many joys to make up for any of the sadness and pain. He is better because he walked through it, because you really can't appreciate the good unless you have truly felt the bad... and he has felt it, but it didn't win... he won! Because that is how he is! A winner! This son, who has always been my protector, who has always worried about my happiness, my joy, my pain... the young man who while struggling with his own horrible pain wanted to make sure I was okay... yes, he is 22 now, and this year he will become a husband, and then in time he will become a father... and what a great one he will be. To see him hold his nephew, to see him cherish Nate, and love his other siblings, to see him forgive, to persevere... to walk through the trials in life and come out the winner, to see him smiling.... a smile that goes all the way to his eyes... to hear him laughing, to hear him excited about his life... that is what matters most to me, that is what brings me the greatest joy!!!

Happy Birthday Jace.... I wish for you all of the greatest joys this year, and that even when times are hard, you reach down deep and find the faith to get through anything knowing that you are strong and that you can do absolutely anything! You are a joy to us and we love you!!!

No comments: