I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Pneumonia AGAIN....

I don't think I have felt so afraid since the last time Nate was flown to Primary's as I felt today. He got up sicker than he has been in a very long time... we couldn't get him moving at all and I knew he was very, very sick. I called his doctor and told them that he is worse than he was yesterday, breathing extremely fast and still running a fever even after being on antibiotics since Monday. He was sick all weekend, and they told us when they did do the dental surgery that the breathing tube could make his respiratory problems worse. It definitely did! They told me to get him right in so I loaded up and ran to town. When our nurse checked his oxygen we knew we were in trouble... it was in the low 80's. When Dr. H came in and started her exam the fear I was feeling was mirrored in her face and I felt a little dizzy and sick! She listened closely and told me that his lungs were full and crackling and that we needed to act on this right now. He got a shot of Rocephin and changed his antibiotic since what he was on wouldn't break up the pneumonia... and that they would see him first thing in the morning to determine whether or not he would be admitted to the hospital. She said if he hasn't turned a corner tomorrow morning he would have to be admitted... but if he got even the tiniest bit worse tonight to get right to the hospital. I think she is a little more lenient on me since we have pretty much everything here to watch over him... I could monitor his oxygen levels and know if he was getting worse. We are doing constant breathing treatments and banging on his back to get the gunk broke up. Thayne tells him to cough and he does on demand which helps too since we HAVE to get that stuff out of his lungs! He is so sweet that he will sit and take the treatment and we told him that he needed to or he would have to go to the hospital.

Tonight Thayne, Garrett and Jace gave him a Priesthood blessing. I am always amazed at the faith of this little boy. He folds his arms and he knows, you can see that he truly believes that the blessing is going to make him better and it never fails that Thayne ends up in tears telling me what a strong spirit this little man has.... add that to the power of the prayers that go up immediately from friends from all over when they hear he is sick, and well... I guess I would have to say that anyone who doesn't believe in the power of prayer has never met our sweet Nater's. Because he is a walking, talking miracle and I feel so blessed to be his mom!

Hopefully tomorrow will bring nothing but good news and we can get this little boy on the mend and keep him healthy and well. I am still so frustrated that they didn't qualify him for the Synagis shots this year... last year through the winter he didn't have one respiratory illness... this year he has had bronchitis or pneumonia every single month since October. It is so frustrating. It is so hard to watch him suffer... but we are so grateful for all of the prayers that have brought him through the illnesses safely!

No comments: