I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Sunday, April 18, 2010

The bond that links your true family
is not one of blood,
but of respect and joy in each other's lives.
--Richard Bach
I guess I am still emotional or something but I have sure been counting my blessings lately and realizing how blessed we are to have so many wonderful people in our lives... people that are not related by blood, but are there for us like family in so many ways I could barely begin to count!
I was dreading the D&C Wednesday, with all of my heart I wanted the outcome to be different than it was, and I was dreading going through it. And while the purpose of the surgery was horrible, I was so grateful for the wonderful people who stepped in and took care of me, and treated us like family while we were going through a difficult moment in our lives. I went to a hospital where 5 of my kids had been delivered.... doctors and nurses who had taken care of me for 5 c-sections there... for ear tubes and tonsils removed and an appendectomy.. a place where they knew us, and cared about us. When I pre-registered for the surgery on Thursday, it didn't matter that I haven't seen some of them in years... they had tears in their eyes as they told me they were sorry that we have to go through this. And I knew they meant it! And then... the day of the surgery, the same nurses that had been there to share in the joy of the birth of my children was there to cry with me at the loss of a very wanted pregnancy. The sweet nurse that knows how bad I hate IV's and numbed my hand, and then covered the needle so I couldn't see it. Who told us they felt like we were part of their family. The nurses that kept me calm and talked to me about happy times. Who have been there to take care of my babies at birth, and during surgeries were there to comfort me that day. And then, when I felt like I was going to break down, there is Marian... she came in and held my hand and talked until I fell asleep. The first time I truly met her was when she was helping me... setting up lights because Kassi had horrible jaundice, and then, in the most compassionate act, when I was literally dying she took her to her home and watched over her while I had a life saving surgery. She has a heart of gold, and I feel honored to count her as my friend. And here again, she was right where I needed her to be... holding my hand and giving me the encouragement to get through this. I love her as if she were truly family... because as the quote says...it's not flesh and blood that makes us family, it is respect and joy we find in each other's lives. I am grateful for doctors like Dr S... who does more than just take care of 'procedures' but who treat you like they really care. It was interesting when I was talking to him how much he remembered out my previous surgeries. He doesn't practice just to practice... he has compassion for us and what we are going through. There are so many people that bless our lives that we kind of take for granted! But I am grateful for them all...for knowing that in times of heart ache, times of pain, there are people that will carry the load with you, and make the burden lighter! We are blessed to know so many wonderful people... and I am grateful for each and every one of them!

1 comment:

5moonbeams4us said...

What a great message! As I was reading your post I realized that we all have the chance and actually the obligation to be there for others through their times of trial, even if there is no blood relation at all. I am so sorry that you had to go through the loss of your baby, but at the same time I am grateful there were those in your life to help you through this hard time.