I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Don't hate me because our trials are different...

Have you ever wanted to scream,
"Don't hate me because my trials are different than yours are!!!"
Because sometimes I DO!
Several things have happened recently,
whether in real life conversation
or on the Internet that have left me thinking a lot about this.
We were all sent to earth with our own set of circumstances
that would help us grow closer to the Lord IF we are
willing to walk through them with patience
and with the knowledge that we were given them
to become the person that we are supposed to be.
I love the quote (I think by Ezra Taft Benson) that says:
"Men and women who turn their lives over to God will discover that
He can make a lot more out of their lives than they can.
He will deepen their joys, expand their vision, quicken their minds,
strengthen their muscles, lift their spirits, multiply their blessings,
increase their opportunities, comfort their souls,
raise up friends, and pour out peace. Whoever will lose
his life in the service of God will find eternal life."
I have thought a lot about how we are supposed to
'rejoice with those who rejoice'
and
'mourn with those who mourn'
but how often it seems that some people think
others should mourn for them,
but that they don't feel they have to mourn for others.
And rejoicing seems more like a competitive thing
where you don't want anyone else to have what you don't have!
I think of the wonderful examples of people in my life.
I think of the friend who lost her daughter to strep pneumonia.
I mourned for her when it happened.
But I can honestly say that the reason I fought so hard for Nate
was because of what she went through.
She taught me through her pain.
She encouraged me to fight for him.
Because of her, Nate is alive.
I would have given anything for her to not have gone through that pain,
but even IN her pain she rose above it and taught others.
Over the past couple of years,
another friend and I went through multiple miscarriages,
often together.
We prayed for each other.
We mourned.
She recently lost another sweet baby.
But she rejoiced when she heard we had a heartbeat!
She didn't begrudge me, or wish for a different outcome for me.
She REJOICED with me...
and through her pain,
shared my joy!
What is it that makes some people walk through a trial
with peace and even with joy in the good things,
while others turn hateful, or jealous, or bitter.
We all have trials... our own special set of them.
Just because yours are different than mine
doesn't mean they aren't there,
and doesn't mean they aren't just as hard to carry.
What is it they say about walking a mile in someone else's shoes?
I would be willing to bet that while we are sitting back
with envy thinking someone else has something we don't...
if we truly walked a mile in their shoes we would
ask for our own trials back!
One comment on a board I go to was that the person was bitter
when they see large families at church.
I understand what she means...
but just because a mom has a large family doesn't mean it came easy,
or that their life is easy right now...
there may be happiness but none of us have it easy!
Just because somebody isn't married doesn't mean they have to
be mad that I am...
just because we are different
doesn't mean we all aren't carrying the trials that will make us
who the Lord wants us to be...
every choice we make leads to consequences.
And sometimes we only get to choose how we will react.
A favorite hymn says,
"In the quiet heart is hidden, sorrow that the eye can't see..."
Sometimes we hurt,
sometimes a friend betrays us,
sometimes family hurts us,
sometimes a child struggles,
sometimes we lose...
sometimes the answer is no!
I can assure you that because I have a large family
I am not stealing babies from somebody else...
because I have chosen to be pregnant far more
than what someone feels is normal
it's not because it is easy, or without struggles.
Don't look too hard at what you don't have
while comparing it to what I do,
because we all are on in this life together
and life is too short to be mad at,
or miserable about what others are doing.
How about if we truly mourn with each other,
and rejoice with each other...
and carry for each other,
the burdens that we all have.
Don't be mad because you think that your trials are harder to bear,
or heavier to carry.
We find ourselves~
only when we lose ourselves in serving others!
Our trials are easier if we carry them together!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I totally agree with you on this!! I was feeling so alone and stressed this week, then had to sub today and the experience ended up giving me a whole new outlook on my life and the things we are currently going through. Thanks for your insight!

Living My Dream said...

Nat, glad you got the sub job. They called on Tuesday while I was headed to Utah and I got to tell them how wonderful I thought you were!!! :) Hope all is well

Veronica said...

YES YES and YES!!! I totally agree. I think you know I have this "friend" who has infertility issues and she is always saying how no matter what, THAT is way worse than anything I"ve ever been through. Really? I mean...REALLY?? Like only four days after Joseph died she called me up and ripped me a new one and said I should get over it because she has had to "get over" her infertility issues. Wow. We all go through different things and are given different experiences. I think it is so we can learn compassion and help one another along the way!