I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Into the Valley

 The theme of the trek was "Aspire Higher"
Trek to the Temple.
I am not sure how they pulled it off but they managed to build a temple
in the middle of nowhere and get the group there without seeing it.
It was only a replica of the temple...
But seeing it was breath taking.
To know what the temple meant to our ancestors and how much they sacrificed
made it so much more special as it came into view.

Many of the kids saw it and just started running. 
They were so excited.
They got to work on 'completing' the temple that afternoon which was fun to watch.
It's not the real thing... but it was pretty special!

We had an interesting lunch...
They handed out bags of different things. 
Maybe a bag of cheese sticks, a bag full of chips, a bag full of beef jerky, crackers...
and then a couple of families were robbed of their bags.
It was a lesson in sacrifice (not really, nobody went hungry), in bartering, sharing,
and taking what you need... being unselfish.
The kids did a great job at bartering, and got us a variety of food.
As we sat down to eat, we talked about sacrificing, and about the idea of what is really a want,
and what is a need.
The more we talked, the more the kids were excited to make sure that EVERYONE had enough to eat. 
The day before I had watched these kids quickly go through a couple of bags of jerky.
But this day... they each took a piece or two and said that there were other families that needed it more, so they loaded all of the extra food and took it around to the other families.
They came back so happy that they were able to share.  Without thinking of themselves.
There were so many little experiences that seemed to teach them a lot about giving, and a lot about serving, and a lot about life!

This was an amazing night.
We taked about the blessings of the temple. 
I watched the kids and could see that they really got it...
They wanted to experience the joy that comes from going to the temple.
I hope that I get the experience of sitting inside the temple with each one of them.
I loved watching them with each other. 
They were so kind... they acted like friends, like brothers and sisters.

Is it scary to say that I hope to do this again one day???!!!




Kinzee and her pa!



Silly girls just happy to be 'in the valley'....

My sweet Wyatt... one tough boy!

Our Temple!!!


Ma and Pa... I have to admit that I was thinking about the shower I would get to take the next day!!  We were filthy!

Group shot!
For several reasons... this is one of my favorite pictures of the whole trek!  I love these kids!!!

No comments: