I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The last day... the ma's and pa's

Our last day came so quickly!
We met in front of the temple before we started for home.
They asked each 'ma and pa' to say something...
it was amazing to hear each share their feelings,
share their testimonies, and share their desire for everyone to
remember this experience and keep the temple as our goal always!

I think the one that touched me the most was the 'ma' who shared her testimony of the temple.
She shared that she was from Korea, and because two boys were willing to leave their homes,
their families, their country to share the gospel in another land...
because her father heard them,
their family was baptized.
She commented on the fact that they may have felt like they didn't accomplish much,
but their sacrifice did so much for her family.
She said that they keep very good family records, and as soon as her father was baptized,
he submitted 72 (SEVENTY TWO) generations to have their temple work done!
I can't even comprehend 72 generations.
She expressed her belief that the temple binds families together forever,
the past, the present and the future!
I don't think there was a dry eye in the crowd.

I have thought a lot about what she said many times since then.
It doesn't matter that we are only one... we can accomplish so much, we touch so many lives...
we have the ability to do great things, even if we are only one!
We have to stand for what we believe, even if it is hard,
or scary.  Even if we feel alone, and even if we feel like we can't make a difference.
We can!
It also hit me how much we need each other. 
We need to take care of each other and make life easier, not harder for others.
We need to lift and carry each others burdens because our own burdens are lighter
when we help each other.

As we headed out on the trail for home,
I was so grateful for the opportunity. 
I knew that there were experiences that had changed me for the better...
had strengthened my testimony
and made me want to do better in the things that I know I need to do.
I hope that the kids had the same experience.
I hope that they remember that they are loved unconditionally, and that they felt their worth, and that they know that they can do really great things.  And mostly that they are never alone.

No comments: