I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Nice comment....

It's always nice to hear your mom comment on your family in a positive way. This morning everyone was up, I had breakfast going and called everyone to the table. One child who shall remain nameless but is 18 and her name starts with a "K" was kind of grumpy. Granted, she did babysit all day long yesterday and I doubt she was in bed early last night and it was early when they got up. But I told her not to be grumpy. Later, I heard my mom telling the kids that even when they are grumpy she can't believe how well they get along. She had 7 sisters. 8 girls with one bathroom. She was saying how they used to fight... fights with hair pulling. I had walked in the room and she mentioned how the kids just seem to get along. No fighting. Really, as I thought about it, there is very rarely a real fight. They may bicker, but we don't allow true sibling fighting to go on much longer than it takes for us to hear it. She asked how we manage to get them to not fight. I really am not sure. We teach them that they should cherish one another. They have always been taught that they are a a gift to one another. But then when they do argue we make them work together. We made the two oldest dig a hole for the trampoline one day when they were bickering about something. It didn't take long for the hole digging to become some big party and though their dad just intended for them to get out of the house and be busy for a while, and then he would dig the hole with a tractor, they ended up digging the entire thing and having a blast doing it. They do warn their siblings that when dad says hard work cleanses the soul that he isn't kidding and they better find something else to do besides be grumpy. But it is always with a laugh. It's also pretty hard to stay mad at each other when you are then assigned together to do the lesson for Family Home Evening and the topic is 'love at home' or 'avoiding contention' or some other related topic, and then have to present it to the family. Or if they have to clean the kitchen together, or make sure the yard is picked up. Working together has a way of making you find ways to get along. It's funny how so many people think that life is all about 'me' but they are usually the most miserable people alive. When siblings think of each other first, they are rarely miserable. I think that we would all get along better in the world if we quit worrying about who got where first, who has more than me and how can I one up the next guy.... if we all took a little time to be kind and generous, we wouldn't have so many problems. It works like that at home too!!!

So, today I heard a wonderful comment on my family and it made me smile. It always makes me smile when I think that my mom actually believes I am doing an okay job at the parenting thing. It's not easy, but it is oh so worth it when those we care about the most recognize what a great thing it is to be part of this big, crazy, wonderful family!

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

I just love hearing your stories Kim! It's nice to hear positive remarks from family!