I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Kids and success

I was in the video store when a lady I know only casually seemed to be listening to the conversation one of the girls that work there and I were having about kids. She then told me that a few months ago they had some work done around and on their house, a room added on and some cement work done. She said that Jace was the foreman on the job and she could not believe how well he handled himself and the others working, and what a great job he did. She said that Tallin was also working there and she couldn't believe that he was only 17 and that he worked like a real man. She also told me that Garrett had worked there also and she was so impressed with their professionalism and their ability to do the job. Then she thanked me for doing such a great job raising them.

I also had a similar conversation about the girls and the jobs they do. And was told that we were doing a great job raising them. And that scared me!!! I would love to take the credit for them being wonderful. We have worked hard teaching them all that we believe, all that we hold dear. And they definitely haven't been raised to be lazy. But what scared me is that if I take the credit.... I also have to take the blame when they mess up. And I don't want to take the blame. I have enough things that I mess up on regularly... I don't want their baggage too! I like a quote that I have heard often throughout my life that says, "I teach them correct principles, and let them govern themselves." I think I went into motherhood with that attitude. At least I hope I did. I fall short far too often. But I have always tried to teach them correctly. And then as their age and accountability allow, I let them govern themselves. It is nice to know that out in the public they are making such a positive image. It could be really good for my self esteem when people comment on them in such a positive way. But again, when I take the credit, I must also take the blame. And I don't want that!

I read somewhere that we aren't raising children, we are raising adults. I really liked that statement because I always truly believed that. I am not raising my kids to be kids forever... I want them to be the type of adults that go out, take charge and make a difference in this world! But, in order to avoid taking the blame for when they mess up, or for when they act human.... I cannot take the credit for when they are really incredible either. I just have to chalk it up that they listened at least a little and chose to be the best they can be!!!

2 comments:

elsies7gifts said...

I often wonder how my kids have turned out to be the wonderful people that they are - and thank our Heavenly Father for it daily. I completely know what you mean about letting them govern themselves. Responsibility builds character. Isn't it wonderful to know that all the hard work of parenting is paying off? And to have it noticed? When people say what a good job I have done with my kids, I always turn it back to them, saying what good choices my kids have made. All the while beaming inside and out as I am sure you were doing!

Jeanne said...

Kim, you are such an amazing mother and woman! I love reading your blog and "peeking in" on your family.

Thank you for sharing!!