I have been thinking the last few days about the fact that it's been a year since Nathaniel was flown out of here not knowing if he was going to live or die. That he was diagnosed with strep pneumonia and how we spent the next two weeks literally fighting for his life in the hospital. We have been so careful over this year to keep him healthy. We probably over react to any little illness but that was such a scary, dark time and his life hung by a thread several times of the days and weeks of his illness. And even when he came home he had to have blood drawn, iv antibiotics and constant Dr visits to make sure his body was fighting the way we needed him to in order to completely heal. His life is so precious to us, I doubt that there is a day that goes by that we don't look at him and marvel at the miracles we saw last year.
Because of that, my heart started doing flip flops the other morning when I heard him coughing. And today as I waited in the doctor's office I felt that old familiar fear grip my heart... I knew that he wasn't as sick as he was last year, but we have worked so hard to keep him healthy, taken so many precautions to keep his little lungs healthy and healing. His doctor is awesome though, and anytime I call she gets us right in. I called this morning since Nate and I had both been sick. His pediatrician was booked but they had me leave a message for the nurse, and then sure enough, they called me back and told me to bring him in before my appointment and they would fit him in to see her. She listened, and listened, and listened some more just to make sure she isn't missing something. And the verdict is that he has bronchitis... he's moving air okay, but she can definitely hear wheezing and his left lung has some fluid. He just finished his meds for an ear infection but we are now treating him for this. We caught it early... but still, it scares me. We had too many close calls last year and I do not want to deal with hospitals this year! So here's hoping that the medication works quickly and completely and our sweet little man stays healthy and strong! What a year it has been. What a ride we have been on with him... but oh what an amazing child he is!
3 comments:
I am glad you guys got it treated early! Thank goodness!
I hope he doesn't have to see the inside of a hospital for a VERY long time.
he is in my prayers no mother should ever know the fear of almost losing a child so young
(((HUGS)))) I bet you will always have that reaction with him. I do with Caleb and its been over two years since he was hospitalized and over a year since he's even had an ER visit!
Post a Comment