I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Awww... the derby

The same night as Kassi's play just happened to be the pinewood derby too!
That's how it usually goes,
days without anything to do and then all on one night we have several things
going on.
So, these are the nights we divide and conquer!
Thankfully there are enough of us that even when we divide up
to show support for whatever activities are going on,
there are more of us than most people have of 'everyone'... ha!
SO, while the girls and I headed to the play after wishing the boys luck,
Thayne and the boys were there to cheer Hayden and Hyrum on.
I actually do not enjoy the pinewood derby.
I know, I am a horrible mom right?!
It's not the kids...
It is the dads!
We are horrible parents who have always let our kids do their own work.
You know... things like the invention convention in 5th grade.
We go in and see 'inventions' that the parents did...
all in the spirit of competition!
And then there are a few of us parents who actually let their kids
do their own work.
It may not match up to the grown ups,
but they take a lot of pride in their work experience!
The same goes with the derby car.
Yep, we let them do their own car....
which likely won't compete with the streamlined cars
built by some professional derby car builder! :)
But darn it all they have a blast!
They love doing it themselves.
Their favorite part is usually the very end when they just get to race for fun.
We aren't real competitive about it all...
and it isn't pretty when the dad's want to make sure their car...
um, I mean their child's car wins! haha
The boys also had a wheel malfunction with one of the cars...
but they showed up,
they proudly raced the car
and they are as happy as before
without the knowledge that they smoked up the track!
They are now playing with the cars at home,
so I guess they are getting some good play out of them anyway!
Good job boys...
but next time I send your brother the camera for pictures,
I will be more specific so I can actually see your cars race!
You are both # 1 in my heart anyway!!!

Hey Hayden...
Sweet Bummy, oh sorry... Hyrum! :)
The waiting is the worst right boys??

1 comment:

Kat M said...

ROFL!!! I love your comment about when you divide and conquer!!

Good for you guys for letting your kids do their own work!! I think that is awesome!
Grats to your boys!