I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Friday, June 6, 2008

22 years ago today!!!

22 years ago today I married my best friend. It amazes me to think how quickly time has flown! I look at him and am taken back instantly. My heart still skips a beat when the phone rings and I see it is him. I still get butterflies when I hear him pull into the driveway! I am amazed at how quickly we fell and how it has only gotten stronger over the years.



I left home a week after I turned 18. We were living in Canada and I had already graduated early there and couldn't work so I was going back to Utah to work and go to school with my friends there. I walked into the grocery store where Thayne was the night manager. It seems silly to say it was love at first sight. But that's what it was. He walked out of the office and I looked into his eyes and it was like I knew him. I pushed up the sleeve of the jacket that had the other guys name on it and turned over my diamond. We talked like we had known each other forever and he called me a couple of hours later to have me come in and interview. I was hired!!! :) My grandma was so flustered watching us that she ended up walking out with a handful of birthday cards and we had to go back in and pay for them. Still today when I hear the song Walking On Sunshine, it makes me smile. That song was popular at the time and it always made me smile because that is how I felt from the day I met Thayne! He flirted, he made me take all of my breaks the same time he took his. He was always around. I could see him watching me through the mirrored glass windows of the office and my heart would go crazy! It took him a couple of weeks to ask me out. One night I was counting out my cash drawer. He was sitting in the office with me. He finally said, "I'm mad at you." I asked him for what and he said he was mad because I was engaged. I said, "Let's just say he wants the ring on my finger but doesn't want the commitment." He just kept watching me and then as I was finishing up he said, "So does that mean you will go out with me?" I had finished, pushed the cash drawer back and as I was walking out of the office I said, "YEP... I sure would!" We went out the next night after work. Just drove around and talked for 6 hours. It was like we had always been together, there was a connection that I can't even describe. It was like though we lived two seperate lives we were somehow connected. That night, we were listening to the radio and Feels So Right by Alabama came on. He told me he didn't want to scare me but he thought he had fallen in love with me. I told him I felt the same so he asked when I was going to marry him. We were married two months later. He has been my best friend since the day we met. He makes me laugh. We have gone through so much together and through it all, we have always been able to laugh. Together we can conquer the world! He is like breathing to me. I always feel like I don't know where I end and he begins. But not in a way that takes away from each other. I think we complete each other and make each other better. I have loved watching him become the man that he is. I always saw the great potential in him. He lived up to my every expectation and then some. I hear so many complain about their husbands but I really can't find anything to complain about. One friend told me that even when Thayne is a jerk he is better than most men! There have been times that I just want to be mad at him for a while and he does something like send me an email telling me how much he loves me and to please help him be better.... how can you be mad at that?



I always think I love him as much as you could possibly love a person, and then something happens that make me love him more. Each time we have a child and I see the look on his face as he watches them, each time I watch him with one of our children, I fall in love even more. I look at him and see the boyish face I fell so completely in love with and my heart beats a little faster. But I also see the face of the man that has given so much, worked so hard for his family and it amazes me. I see what he rose above to what he has become and I am in awe! I am so thankful to be his wife!!!


Happy Anniversary! I look forward to forever with you!!!




3 comments:

talitha said...

Congrats on the 22!

Hope you have fun plans to celebrate!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Kim! Your story was SO sweet! I loved reading about that magical moment you had with him and how that has continued throughout the years. Happy Anniversary! And thanks for giving me hope that good marriages actually DO exist!

jhjohnstone said...

Oh my gosh, that brought tears to my eyes! Congratulations on your 22 years together. I can easily see you guys celebrating your 50th, even 60th anniversary down the road!