I took Nate to the doctor today to get his first Synagis shot. When I sat down an older lady started talking to Nate and asked how old he was. I told her 11 months (TODAY I might add!!!). She then said, "So, is he your first?" Usually I don't go into the actual number he happens to be but without thinking I said, "No, he's our 15th." Well, you would have thought the world was ending today the way she went on and on about how crazy I must be to have 15 kids (didn't bother telling her 16 is on it's way!). I just tried to smile and pretend like everyone in the place wasn't looking... but come on... EVERYONE in the place was looking! Then she tells me she could barely handle the two she had, but that she had 6 grandkids and 2 great-grandkids. I told her congratulations, that is wonderful and then she went on and on about how insane it was to have 15 kids. Then her daughter walks out with the 2 year old great-grandchild. And she tells her daughter who then went off taking the Lord's name in vain and going on and on about how insane a person must be to have so many kids. Now... I was sitting there perfectly normal AND sane while they ranted about the insanity of it all...with a room full of people. I must say it was a relief to have them finally leave.
Then we head to KFC... I love our KFC because the owners are amazing and so sweet to our family. They have been open since we were expecting our 8th baby and everytime we go in they seem to celebrate our family, often giving the kids a chocolate cake or a free dessert. Everytime we go in they ask if we are having #16. Today he said something about another baby, and Kailee pointed to my belly and excitedly tells him that 16 is on it's way! He was thrilled and told his wife who smiled and congratulated me. They tell us it is wonderful and are so happy for us! And I know they mean it!!! And he gave us a discount to celebrate!!! :)
I just find it interesting how different people react to news of a large family. Some people rejoice in it in a way that is wonderful to see... because that is how we feel. Other people, usually those who chose to have a small family, are miserable about it and think a person must be insane to have so many kids! It's great to be around people who are as happy about family as we are.
And... we are now officially started on the Synagis shots. 1 down, 5 more months to go. And praying like crazy that this helps keep Little Man healthy and happy throughout the winter! Though today you wouldn't know we are in the middle of November... it was 64 degrees when we came from town. The kids are saying they wish it would snow to sled down our hill... I say it can snow on Christmas eve and then clear up and be like this the rest of the winter!!!
11 comments:
That lady is a twit. An ignorant Mom at soccer on the weekend asked me if I or my husband was getting fixed, in front of everyone else & I only have 5. People should just stay quiet.
I remember you talking about the KFC owners before, they sound so very sweet.
I really don't understand people. Seriously it is either one or the other. We are only expecting #6, and the reactions are either wonderful or totally rude @@. It really annoys me.
I hate when people are so dumb like that. I think it is wonderful that you are having #16 and are excited about #16 as if this were your first. Not everyone can be like you. I know I never could have had 16, but I enjoy so much reading about you and your family. God Bless.
I don't think it's nuts, I think it's awesome. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to spend a week with your family, I think the dynamics must be amazing. I didn't have that growing up and your kids seem so very loved and appreciated. Take care.
Ditto what Stacey said. I think it's awesome that you and Thayne (and the kids) are as excited about the 16th baby as you have been every other one. I do admit when I first learned about your family I was a bit shocked, but only because I have never been exposed to such a large family. But I definitely don't think you're crazy! I think you're awesome, caring parents, and I truly enjoy reading your posts. I, too, would love to spend a week with your family!
Jackie
I would have invited them to call the funny farm for a professional opinion! That might have shut their traps. I can understand that the idea of such a family is so foreign and overwhelming that they can think it is some kind of crazy. But since when is that an excuse for being rude?? Family size is incredibly personal and nobody elses business. However a baby on the way is always a reason to rejoice!
Hi Kim, I followed you over here from pg.org Large family board. And I admit, I'm a bit of a stalker. :op It's intersting to see how you guys make it work with such a large family. I can imagine the reactions you must get with 15. I have gotten some neg ones with 5. I have to say though, the worst reaction I got was from a patient's aunt. (I'm a L&D nurse). I was very pg at the time. When she asked if it was my first, I smiled and said no, this is my 5th. Her reaction, YOU'RE 5TH?!?! Are you crazy? Are you done now? When I smiled again and said, I don't know, she ranted on about how crazy I was and had to point out my insanity to everyone in the room. The older grandma sitting in the corner asked me if I had boys or girls and told me congratualtions.
Weird, how a stranger's reproduction is supposed to be everyone else's business.
Just tell everyone this:
If it weren't for me and people like me, social security would have folded long ago. Many aspects of our government programs are only successful when people increase or at least sustain the population/work force.
So thanks to jerks like her, social security is going to collapse. So there.
Yes, my reaction would be similar to Happy Mommy's: "Someone has to pay your Social Security check someday. You should thank me!"
But I only have three, and at the moment I feel SO DONE! Kim, I really admire you!
P.S. How appropriate. The word verification for this comment is "panic"!
Why on earth do people say, "I could barely handle my 1/2/3!" I don't get it, don't they realize that has to do with their inability to cope and not your ability?
I hate these kinds of comments too. I know we are going to get some from family even when we announce. It's nice to have all of our friends so supportive but man, it's so frustrating to get the comments from people who don't even know you!
Most of the time when someone says, "Wow, I can hardly handle my own 2 (or 3 or whatever)" I reply, "It's a good thing you stopped then. Luckily we can handle all these kids".
But just know that there are so many of us that are so happy and supportive of your family! We love you guys!
Post a Comment