I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Broken hearts...

We moved the appointment up with my doctor because I have been spotting for over a week. That isn't anything really unusual for me since I have done it for almost every pregnancy. But we didn't want to wait through the holiday weekend and another week on top of that. After my initial visit with the doctor I was measuring right where I should be but because of the spotting and knowing that I would have to deliver by 37 weeks she sent me for an ultrasound. I have tried very hard to stay positive but I just didn't have a good feeling about things going into the ultrasound. Now I know why. Our sweet baby stopped growing and there was no heartbeat. After discussing the results with my doctor, it was decided that I come home and wait for this to happen naturally... which is tearing my heart out.

I dreaded coming home and telling the kids. I knew how devastating it would be for them. And it makes me love them all the more that they love each other, including this baby that we never got to hold in our arms. I cried all the way home... and then I cried with my sweet children as we mourned together the loss of this life that was so new, and yet so loved and wanted. I can't stop the tears as I think of all that is lost, all of the hopes that are dashed, and how my little ones cried as we talked about this baby, and how Heavenly Father decided to bring His precious spirit back home to Him instead of letting it be born here, to us. I hope that our baby, and I will forever believe he was a little boy, knows how much he was loved, how much he was wanted, how much he was cherished for the very short time he grew within me. He will forever be part of our family. He will forever be missed. How can you know about somebody for such a short time, and feel so connected, so completely in love. Though the pregnancy was a surprise, it was embraced so completely, welcomed with so much excitement... I felt as disappointed in knowing how badly this would hurt the other kids as I did in the fact that I will not hold this little one in my arms. I will hold him in my heart, I will dream of what would have been... but I know that Heavenly Father's plan is a perfect one, and for whatever reason, it was enough that we accepted that plan without question, and embraced it and now mourn because of it. My love for my kids grew even more as I have watched them cry, watched them mourn, watch them love... they are truly amazing. I hope that the little one that was to be part of our family can feel the love that will always be his! I don't know how I am going to get through this right now... it seems like an impossible task to overcome. But I will, I know I will. I will trust the Lord, and know that He will carry me through this. And when I hurt, I have so many sweet sons and daughters to hold on to until I get through that moment. I will cry with Thayne, and hold onto the knowledge that we have forever to work through this together and that our love will continue to grow. But for now, my heart is broken... and I will trust that in time it will mend, though it will forever be changed because of the one that came into our life for such a short time, but taught us just how capable we are to love.

Good bye sweet baby... you will be missed, and you will always be loved.

25 comments:

Carla said...

Kim, I am so sorry for the loss of your littlest one. I know there are no words to make it easier.

Take care and hug your little ones tight.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry.

Haley said...

I am so sorry Kim.

Natalie said...

I am so sorry, Kim. I know that it is very hard. I myself have lost two. But I know someday my Heavenly Father will let me meet and hold those babies in my arms. Please let me know if you need anything.

Buggles said...

Kim, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Rebecca said...

My heart sank when I read the title of your blog. I am so sorry for your loss and your family will be in my prayers. ♥

MissouriMormonMama said...

I am so sorry to hear that! Prayers are being sent your way.

D said...

Oh Kim I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your family in this difficult time.
Dawn (bbc Aug 04 mom)

Rose said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I have no doubts that this sweet baby does know how much love you and yours has for them. Please know you are in my thoughts & prayers.

fav auntie

The Williams said...

Kim, I am so sorry for the loss. I know how excited all of you were. If you need anything, please let me know. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers.

Michelle said...

Oh Kim, I'm so heartbroken for you and your family. Our miscarriages whether early or late have always been so hard on us but the ones where the kids knew have always been the most difficult. Watching my kids was the hardest part of losing Dominic but it also helped me. It showed me just how much love we all had. Those broken pieces of my heart became more places for God to fill with love.

Your family is in my prayers. I am always here to listen and to cry with if you need me. Losing a baby is a pain like no other. It's a pain I wish none of us ever had to go through. (((HUGS))) I love you and am praying for you.

Jeanne said...

Kim, I am so sorry. It's hard...isn't it.

Amanda said...

Kim I am so very sorry. My heart aches for you and your family. What a special spirit he must have been to have only needed a body for such a short time. (that is what I tell my self to help when I miss my little angel) Again I am so very sorry.

Heidi said...

Tim & I are so sad with you. our hearts break for you. you and your family will be in our prayers

Heidi

Unknown said...

Kim and family,
How wonderful for your son/brother to have been loved so much in his short little life! Today is Thanksgiving and I have been a bit overwhelmed thinking about all of the people who will NOT feel loved today. Your precious little one is looking down on you and smiling for all of the love he is feeling! We are so sorry for your profound loss. Take care of each other and keep sharing your stories of great love with all of us.

5moonbeams4us said...

Kim, I am so sorry. I know that I don't have words to make you feel any better, just please know I feel so sad for your family.

jhjohnstone said...

Kim, I'm so sorry. I know how much this baby was (is) loved and wanted. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Jackie

Charmed said...

Kim, I am so sorry for the loss of your precious baby. I know you love each one of your children with a fierceness that only a Mother can have, no matter how "old" they are. Praying for you sweetie.

Anonymous said...

Oh, sweetheart, I'm so sorry! I wish I could make your heart feel better.

Farmer Mama said...

Kim, sending my heartfelt condolences

Kaylene said...

OH Kim, I'm SO sorry! (((HUGS)))

DenimAngel said...

My heart breaks for you Kim. Thinking of you sweetie and sending special hugs to you.
Susan

Melissa Hall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa Hall said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Kim. Your son will be missed.

Jessica said...

I too am so sorry to hear of your loss Kim and family. I remember the grief all too well. Mine happened right around this time of year too. I remember bursting into tears when they sang "Away in a Manger" during sacrament meeting. I ran out of the room, hysterical. Even now, two years later, I still miss that sweet little spirit and know that I will meet it someday. (HUGS)