I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Gabe's blessing day...










What a day this has been. I can't believe the depth of emotions this day has brought out... today Gabriel was blessed by his dad. How could I not go back to the day my first son was blessed by his dad.... Thayne had just recieved the Melchizedic Priesthood the week before. Garrett was born on Thursday and we blessed him on Sunday, at 3 days old because my dad was going to Alaska and had wanted to be there. It was so new to Thayne and he was so nervous that I could hear his voice shaking. But he was so happy to have a son and he did such a great job. I think about how far our lives have come... the gospel was so new to Thayne, and he was so nervous that day. Yet the way he has lived his life, as a husband, as a father, he has lived his life so that today, when they held Gabe and Garrett gave him a name and a blessing, he was sure, confident and I couldn't help but think why... because of the example of his dad, he learned to love the Lord, and to honor the Priesthood that he holds. Isn't that the way it should be? Shouldn't we take what maybe wasn't so wonderful, and start fresh... and give each new generation a step up, to be better than we are. Thayne loves the Savior, and he has used the Priesthood to accomplish miracles as the Lord has allowed and he has taught his boys to do the same! And today, I once again witnessed what always takes my breath away... honorable men who love the Lord took this sweet baby boy in their arms. What a powerful thing it is to see. I thought about how many times in the past I have seen the power of the Priesthood in action, calling down the powers of heaven to bless our lives, to move mountains. And again today... I felt the love of my Heavenly Father and felt so blessed for the knowledge of the Savior, and His atoning sacrifice in my life. I saw my son hold his son in his arms and bless him. I saw the man that stole my heart 24 years ago walk up with 3 of his sons to stand in the circle to bless our first grandbaby. Who would have thought 23 years ago when Thayne held Garrett in his arms that we would be standing here now, with this family... that we would got through so many ups and downs, and yet, because we have each other we can make it through. The knowledge that our family can be forever, that we can watch generation after generation grow and become so much stronger, and better than we are is amazing to me! We are so grateful that Gabriel is part of our family... that we have the joy of him being part of our lives. What a joy he is.

We were able to have Tiffany's family out to the house this afternoon for lunch. Tracy and Buffy and their family was here also and it was so nice to have them all here. I constantly thank Heavenly Father for bringing Tiffany into our lives. She fits in so well and is perfect for Garrett. It was a wonderful day.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Kim -

What beautiful pictures! I just *love* keeping tabs on your family through your blog... you are such an inspiration, and I love having a peek into world. :)

Heidi (GeneandCleo from bbc FOREVER ago... ) :)