I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Who Know...


You just never know how you are going to feel on any given Mother's Day. At least that is how I often feel. Will it be a day to remember? Or will it be a day to just get through and be done with for another year? Or somewhere in between?
I often hear women talk about how bad they hate this day... that they feel like they are not doing enough, that they feel they are failing. Or some hate it because they can't have children... or can't have another child.... or that they feel they have messed up on the children that they have.
I have felt so many of those feelings... I'm not good enough, smart enough, patient enough. And then there are other times when I feel like I am far from perfect, but I kind of have this job figured out. Sometimes!
But this year I feel like I struck gold!!! Not just in the amazing gifts I received... and they were GREAT! But I also felt like while I fall on my face quite often... and sometimes I get a little crazy and yell at the wrong kid... or just that I yelled... even if it was the right kid, or I mess up... I still GET UP again and again and keep on trying! And that is enough! I always tell the kids that I am grateful for the atonement of the Savior because He will make up for everything I fall short on! We went to church and had a wonderful program with amazing music from the youth choir (that is absolutely amazing. The bishop asked each youth in our ward to please participate in the choir and they sing 2 or 3 times a month and it's AMAZING!)... the choir that 4 of my kids are involved in. And music from my little kids too. And Wyatt, Hayden, Kalli and Hyrum were asked to sing a special part in a really beautiful song. Hayden asked why people always asked our kids to do stuff like that. I laughed at his attitude and the face he made when he asked and told him it is because they are amazing and people know they can count on them so don't let them down! He didn't!!! None of them did! They were awesome!!!

I loved the talks that were given. And a couple of the speakers used the conference talk by Julie Beck called Mothers Who Know. And I thought about the things that she shared during conference almost 3 years ago. That there is 'eternal influence and power in motherhood' and that mothers who know desire to bear children. She spoke of how the world doesn't value children as much anymore and that in the eternal scheme of things children --not possessions, not position, not prestige -- are our greatest jewels. She spoke of how mothers who know nurture, who teach and who lead and who do less of the unnecessary activities out there to pursue. But my favorite part is mothers who know stand strong and immovable. That it is my responsibility to prepare a righteous generation of sons and daughters - who know the Lord and bear testimony of Him and who do not give up during hard or discouraging times. And we have been asked to stand strong and immovable for that which is correct and proper under the plan of the Lord. And on Mothers Day I decided that I will not look at my shortcomings, but rather I will look at what I do manage to do right... and that I will feel good about standing strong even when times are especially hard or discouraging. I realized that I may not have a whole lot according to the worlds idea of being successful but I can be successful in the Lord's eyes because I strive to be a mother who knows. And when I fall short, or simply just fall on my face, I can get up and start over and learn from the mess ups that have already happened. I see in my children the ability to nurture... to love others and who adore children. That is a rare thing today!

I am especially grateful for my husband and children. For all that I am because of them! For all that they teach me! For the love that they give me!

The day was simply wonderful because of that... and that would have been enough. Exept I got spoiled also. I got flowers and plants, and a beautiful black hills gold/diamond necklace from Tanner... and an iPod that now has somewhere around 11,000 songs on it... so far! Tiffany and Garrett came out while we were in church and made twice baked potatoes to go wth the 2 turkeys roading and the whole day was really greatl! This was really a wonderful day and I am so grateful to be the mom of this incredible family! They are the best!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad that you had a wonderful day. I found you blog by accident a few weeks ago. You are an amazing family. If more people would strive to live according to God's teachings the world would be a better place.