I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Monday, December 15, 2008

Viral infection? Or not! UGH

I get so frustrated going to the clinic. If we go to the clinic we only have to pay $10 for anything they do there. If we take them to the pediatrician that I like, it will cost us $20 plus 20% until our deductible is met. Thankfully Nate's deductible is met through the end of the year... I dread January!!! Last week we took several kids and Thayne to the clinic. Oh, and forget the clinic looking at a couple of extra after you pay for 6 or 7 kids... nope, they just won't. Our pediatrician will do it without batting an eye, which helps when you have several that are confirmed sick and several more coming down with whatever it is the others have. After going over the history of them all, us telling them that this has been going on for over a week and that they are coughing up GREEN stuff, they say it's a viral infection and to treat the symptoms. Days later they are fevered and sick and I call the pediatrician... and she calls in antibiotics with the promise that if it doesn't help through the weekend to get them in... it did!!! I had the same thing as Thayne, and my doctor gave me antibiotics because of the D&C but also to clear up my sinus infection. Within 2 days I was feeling much better. Thayne is still dealing with it. Today I took Tallin in because he has been sick for days... over a week. Same doctor, yes, he is coughing up tons of GREEN stuff...he tells us there is good news, and bad news. The good news, it's a viral infection. The bad news... it's a viral infection. Go home, suck it up and it will pass. I had Nate with me since he had just finished getting the synagis shot. So I told him, "Look, 7 people, including myself and Nate are on antibiotics and are getting better. Thayne is STILL struggling with being sick with his sinus infection, it is NOT a viral infection... we cannot afford to take this lightly, we all BREATHE on each other at home no matter how careful we are. PLEASE can we attempt to get everyone healthy at the same time???" He says, "The antibiotic helped?" YES!!! It helped!!! Oh, well... okay.... and we left with a prescription in hand!

Thayne said that several guys at work have been horribly sick and the clinic keeps telling them the same thing, it's a viral infection. The only problem is none of them are getting better! I think we should check into a conspiracy theory.... keep them coming back, never treat them and make them think they are all crazy!!!!! :) I certainly don't want to overuse antibiotics... .but SEVERAL times last winter we had to take kids in to a different doctor costing us not only the initial visit to the clinic but then higher deductables at another doctor and ended up needing meds to get better everytime. A couple of times they missed strep even after doing a strep test, because they would barely rub it at the back of their tongue... my kids have all had their tonsils out, they have to get clear back in their throats.... one time Hyrum had huge 'ulcers' at the back of his throat. I took him to the clinic after 4pm on a Thursday... told me it was viral, strep test negative, or so they said. Took him at 9am the next morning to our ped, she commented on the horrible 'ulcers' at the back of his throat, and strep positive test. I asked them if the clinic could have missed that. She said maybe, if it was too early. I asked her, "Last night? At almost 5pm?" She just shook her head and said no! So why do I do this to myself? Why do I believe that at some point they are going to tell me what it truly is and not what they decided in the meeting for the month to diagnose everyone as having! They have even misdiagnosed cancer... told people they had cancer and they didn't! I can't imagine how horrible that would be!

Bottom line??? We are hopefully getting everyone better now... viral? Bacteria??? Hmmmm.... guess we'll see how fast Talling gets better on antibiotics!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I am now no longer peeved at the little colds and grumpiness that my three children and I seem to hang onto all winter. You have my profound sympathy! Hang in there, Mama Bear! And, you tell those stupid quacks where to stuff their viral infections! ;o)