I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Monday, June 1, 2009

Trying to let go...

Today I walked into the grocery store and one of the ladies that works there was walking out and said, "I thought you were pregnant!" It took me a minute to get it together... I see her almost on a daily basis since I spend so much time in the grocery store. Twice today I was asked that question. Both times I simply said, "I was, we lost the baby." But it's really hard today because I would have delivered that baby probably on Satuday, if not today. Every day for 29 weeks I have ached for that baby. Everyday for all those weeks I have watched at least 8 other women grow their babies, and now are all giving birth. It doesn't matter that I have 15 children... it still hurts when I think of what could have been. At least once every month I cry, and sometimes get angry.... it doesn't get easier... it doesn't go away. I don't wish any less happiness on everyone else, I just hurt for the loss and hurt for what would have been... the life that we would be rejoincing in right now. I don't know why it happened, I have no answers why anyone has to struggle, with infertility, with miscarriage, with loss. I heard yesterday a quote that said something to the effect that if we have faith we will be able to walk through our trials, and as we walk through those trials we will gain more strength for going through them. I guess I am still waiting for the strength to get over the pain of losing the baby that was so deeply loved before he ever had a chance to experience it on earth. My kids ask almost daily if we can have another one. I wish I had the answer for them. I just don't know. But I know that every May I will think of the baby that we never got to know, that we never got to hold. I don't know why this one hurt so much more than the other times. I don't know why I got pregnant when we weren't trying, and then lost it after everyone was so excited. Maybe I will never know... but I know I need to find some way for closure, some way to accept that it happened for a reason, and move on.

6 comments:

Veronica said...

{SNIFF} I am sooo sorry. I feel what you're feeling. Even though I have a perfect baby boy growing in my belly right now, I still have a sick feeling at the thought of July 10th coming and going. That's when I was due with the one I lost. My good friend next door is due at the exact same time and it's been very painful at times to watch her go through her pregnancy. I'm so sorry you're hurting like you are. I wish I could do something for you :( BTW how is Tiff's pregnancy going?

Unknown said...

Hugs Kim, I am so sorry. I feel your pain as I have gone through 2 losses myself and have seen loved ones go through losses. It does not get easier no matter how many losses you have had. They will all be remembered. I wish we knew why we had to go through such a horrible thing. Hugs again.

Lauren said...

I'm sorry Kim.

Melissa said...

I'm sorry, Kim. ((HUGS))

Melissa :)

A homeschool mother to many said...

Kim,
I feel your pain as well, this 9th of June will be when we lost our angel,I ache everyday for that baby,I know I would not have Catey if it had not happened,but I still ache for him/her since it happened.
I also wonder during this heartache time trying to conceive again will I ever see that strength as well.I know it comes from God and I know he is carrying me,but there are times when I don't feel it.

Michelle said...

Kim, you will never get over the pain but you will find ways to deal with it. Even now, after being pg with 2 after losing Dominic I still cry for him. All of the babies I have lost have been my children. It doesn't matter if they have ever been held in my arms, they are mine and I miss them. Dominic was my hardest to deal with and I am still dealing with it... almost 2 years and 2 more babies later. (((HUGS)))