Where were you?
Funny how you remember some things so clearly.
This day was one of them.
I had just taken Garrett to seminary and came home
to nurse my newborn daughter.
We had cuddled on the couch and I flipped on the tv
while the other kids were getting ready for school.
I remember wondering what movie was playing instead of the news.
I even rechecked the channel...
Then I turned up the volume and sat in shock watching as the second plane hit.
Thayne had called from work.
The guys had heard something was happening.
But what?
I told him a plane had hit the WTC...
but how? and why?
And then the second plane hit...
And then we knew.
I do not understand that kind of hate.
I do not understand.
I guess I will forever look at that moment in time through a haze.
I had just given birth. To a beautiful girl that would have been due on 9/11.
I looked at her and while the world did stop turning
she was the reason why the world couldn't, and wouldn't stop.
Because despite the hate of people that would do this...
We have something greater!
We have love, and the spirit of freedom that this great country was
founded on in the first place.
A country where others came to, and fought, and died for...
For the right of their children to be free to choose.
Free to choose to serve the Lord.
To love... to love even those who hate us for who we are.
They will not win.
Because another baby will be born. Because of love.
The nation stopped that day... they stopped and took a look at what matters.
They stopped to help another person. To pray. To mourn.
They stopped for a moment from all of the selfish things we do every day.
And replaced it with pride in our country,
and love for one another.
The country started praying again.
Why did it take something so horrible to take us all back to where we
should have always been?
Have we forgotten again?
I hope not.
I look at my kids and pray that we never forget.
I do not want to hide them from it. I don't want them to forget, or worse,
not ever know. I want them to see the images of hate...
so that they understand the power of love!
And that they understand what America stands for.
That they realize that their freedom has never been free!
That day was strange.
I looked at the horror and nursed my precious daughter
and understood that just as there has always been good
there would always be evil trying to stop good.
It's a war that always has been.
But we know who wins in the end.
So while the devil can stir up the hearts of men to hate
in the end he will lose. Because he already knows he is a liar.
He stirs up the hearts by whispering that good is evil and should be destroyed.
But he has always known he speaks lies.
And good will overcome.
There are still good people here who pray, who choose to do right
and to continue to serve.
We are proud to be Americans.
No excuses, No shame!
This is STILL a country that gives...
that protects the innocent and the oppressed.
May the Lord always protect her,
As we seek the Lord for that protection.
A wise man once said, "In all living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." We have weathered storms that tried to break us, but through it all, we have always tried to find the joy in our journey. Watching our family grow has given us more joy than we ever thought possible. There is joy in the journey, even in the middle of the storms!
I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom
Saturday, September 11, 2010
Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It was my birthday that day. And while I watched the world stop turning and watched thousands lose their precious wives , husbands , sons , daughters , i gave birth to my beautiful daughter. My birthday gift to myself and the day the world stopped turning.
Aw Cheryl... I hope you both have a happy birthday. I was wondering why I hadn't seen you around on FB... hope you are doing okay.
Post a Comment