I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Monday, August 25, 2008

Kalli Shai

Our beautiful Kalli Shai is 7 years old today! We are busy baking cupcakes to take to her class. She is so excited to be 7. Only one more year until her baptism and she can't wait!






I can't believe this sweet little girl is 7 years old. I am always a little amazed at how quickly our kids grow. Where did the time go? 7 years ago yesterday I was sitting at Buffy's with a group of mom's planning our preschool year. I started having contractions but was trying to ignore them since we had her c-section scheduled for the following week. Buffy had been watching me and finally asked how close the pains were. We started timing and obviously they were too close to ignore. But she would be my 7th c-section so there wasn't a chance of doing it natural and my doctor was 4 1/2 hours away. Thayne had been on his long change, 7 days off... and was supposed to go back on night shift. The doctor wanted me to come over and get things checked out. We got the kids situated, some were staying, some were going, school would be starting on the 27th. We got to the hospital at about 9pm on the 24th. The doctor's were both busy with emergancies so they got me set up in a room to be monitored and the pains just kept coming. At about 2:30am Dr. S came in and decided to give me morphine to stop the pain and let me sleep. It was a nice thought, but didn't really work out! Just after 9am he came back in and said that we were having a baby! Ron immediately came in to give me the epidural and I had instant relief! I couldn't keep my eyes open. I remember Thayne looked concerned and asked if I was okay. I told him I just felt sooooooo good and drifted in and out of sleep. The surgery went perfectly. Kalli Shai was born on Saturday August 25th, 2001 at 11:17am, 7lbs 12oz and 20 inches long and perfect! She had a head full of jet black hair and gorgeous! I remember being so happy and at peace and content with the world with her in my arms. My c-section was a breeze and recovery was wonderful. We got home Tuesday and stopped to get the mail. I leaned forward and told Thayne if it wasn't for being engorged I wouldn't even feel like I had just had a baby! It's a good thing too since I was up and running, taking kids to school the next day and going shopping.






Kalli has been a complete joy, with moments of complete craziness thrown in. She can be the most happy, amazing child and turn to melt down in 2.3 seconds. But she is so wonderful and amazing and such a blessing to our lives.






3 comments:

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

Happy Birthday Kalli. What a wonderful birth story!

talitha said...

Seriously, your kids have the BEST birthday cakes EVER.

Hope it was a fun one, Miss Kalli!! It's because of her and Walker that we became friends!!

Melissa Hall said...

Kim, your post about Kalli inspired me to write a blog about you, which I wanted to share: http://honeybeecentral.blogspot.com/2008/08/mamahen15-fan-club.html

If after reading it you would rather I delete it, I will respect your wishes. I've followed your family as a lurker for 3 years on the 'Large Family' board on BabyCenter, and I love reading your blog posts. Thank you for allowing others to share your family memories. God Bless, ~M