I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Monday, August 25, 2008

Strep and Vax Reactions!

Hyrum told me he was itching this morning. I thought he was pulling his normal morning routine when it's time for school and told him he needed to get ready for school. When I picked him up he showed me his arm that had a rash that looked like they always look when they have strep. Then I saw his chest, back and upper arms. Yep... definately strep. But also a weird rash that was hot. And then I noticed a very swollen gland on the left side of his neck.

Called the doctor and told them he needed to be seen. Nate is done with his antibiotics on Thursday and we can't afford to have him get sick again and seeing Hyrum like that is no fun either.


Two doctors later they decided that yes, it is strep, and he also has a bad reaction to the SIX vaccinations he had to have in order to go to school. I really did not want to give him all of them at once. We had it scheduled to do them over 2 or 3 visits but Nate ended up in the hospital and our ridiculously obnoxious school district is not allowing anyone in school without them! I didn't have a medical reason to not do them then... and the only other option was religious. I guess I could prove that with scripture but technically it isn't true... so we had to do it! And I am furious!!! I believe that vaccinations are important and good in many cases. Most of my kids I never even batted an eye and did them all on schedule. But with some of the kids, I had a really strong feeling to not do them as scheduled, but to delay. By school they are caught up, but I am frustrated about the fact that they dump 6 different vaccinations into these little bodies and think that it is okay!!!


So, my poor little man gets his way tomorrow... he won't be going to school. He has to be on antibiotics another day before they let him go back. ARGH! And now I am even more frustrated with vaccinations. I get sick to my stomach everytime I think about Nate getting them and I just don't know what to do. Usually when I have a gut feeling that strong there is a good reason.... like I felt when I KNEW he needed antibiotic and almost died because they didn't listen to me! Nate is also doing breathing treatments right now to finish clearing up his lungs. Kami is on antibiotics and it looks like I will be calling on Willie tomorrow too. This is not normal August stuff... what in the world is going on????
Here's Hyrum's swollen glands!



5 comments:

Amanda said...

Poor guy, hope he feels better soon, and keeps the germs to himself! :)
I'm not vax-ing on schedule either- imo, they're pushing little bodies to the limits.

Anne/kq said...

If you pray about it, and feel that vaccinating (or vaccinating on schedule) is not right for Nate, I wouldn't do it. To me, that's cause for a religious exemption (or with his fragile health and a family history of reactions, a medical exemption!)

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

holy cow that is really swollen. Poor kid! Saying lot soprayres this is it foryou and that september is a healthier month!

Deanna said...

We delay vax and never more than 2 vax per visit. By the time he's school age, he should be about on schedule, but I won't let the school system bully us in to it. That's a really big soap box for me. I think vaccines are good...but I also belive our medical community with the pushing of drug companies pushes our children's bodies to extremes - and that really ticks me off.

I keep up with your blog...found you through bbc. I love reading your stories! *blessings*

Katie said...

Are you guys in Utah? You can do a philosophical exemption too, not just the religious and medical ones.