I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Food storage!

For years and years, as long as I can remember, the Church has talked about the importance of food storage, of being prepared. One of the earlier things I remember hearing was, "It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark." And, "Having food storage today will be just as vital as it was for Noah to build the ark..." or some such thing. We have gone in spurts through the years. We have never quite mastered having a full year's supply of food but we have lived off of our food storage a few times and we probably managed a good 3 months easily. We are busy building up our food storage again. The economy has everybody running scared and people are now trying to follow the counsel that has been given for longer than I have been alive.

Tonight we went over to Candice and Shalum's house to see their new 250 gallon water 'jug'. Poor Thayne thought that Shalum said he had it in his bath TUB. :) Shalum had actually said they had it in their bathROOM! But they realized they need to reinforce their floor so Shalum and Thayne are going to do that so they can fill it up. This thing is seriously large. So large it is almost funny! Thayne is not good to bring around Shalum because it stresses Candice out... of course it would stress anyone out when those two are together because Thayne thinks it would be fun to tear out her bathroom cupboards and make a closet for the water tank! Truly, the damage those two could do if they were to be given free reign to tear out a wall! But this is one water tank that you just have to see to believe....




8 comments:

Candice said...

Man, we're awesome. That's all I've got to say about that...except that whole thing with the cupboards, not happening. Thayne stresses me out, Shalum stresses me out, put them together? I shudder. ;]

Lara said...

i want to know where to get one of those!!! It looks awesome!!!

Candice said...

Here's the website for the tanker
www.yourfoodstorage.com

Shalum, Thayne, and Jace just moved it to our shed, shockingly. I had my doubts. I didn't think it would fit.

Living My Dream said...

I think she got it at http://www.yourfoodstorage.com/ They ARE awesome!

Hannah said...

Hi-
I found your blog when I was googling food storage. That water storage tank is amazing - I have never seen anything like that.

Anyway, if you ever need any food storage tips, or recipes that use only food storage (non-perishable) food, feel free to check out our blog!

Thanks for the post!
Hannah @
http://safelygatheredin.blogspot.com/

Living My Dream said...

Thanks Hannah... will check it out!!!

Unknown said...

That does look awesome! Another great resource for acquiring food storage is www.shelfreliance.com. Freeze dried foods have come a long way and their Thrive line is fantastic!!! Long shelf life and very tasty. This is also an easy way to incorporate your food storage into your regular meals :)

Living My Dream said...

Rebecca... have you used Shelfreliance? We were looking at their stuff but I didn't want to spend a bunch and it not taste good. So if you have used it, how does it taste? What do you think???

Kim