I think I finally understand why the country has jumped on the band wagon of the 'share the wealth' message Obama is sharing with the world. You see, tonight was the wood cutting party. I walked out to watch the men, and boys, cut the wood. What didn't surprise me at all were the faces of the men that were there. You see, these are the same men that always show up in force when there is service to be done. They are the ones that are doing all they can to take care of their own, but always willing to go out and do something for someone else... sometimes for someone who could do for themselves, but that know that somebody else will end up doing it if they wait it out. Of course that isn't always the case, but for many, many things, this is the case. The men that showed up are great men, I have always had respect for them. They are the ones that have their boys out there working also, teaching them to work side by side with others. They give, even when it means they do without. And more often than not, others are waiting... expecting... And truly, these men wouldn't complain because they are such great men... men of service... humble and willing to do all they can. But as I watched them working so hard, I got to thinking about some of the things I had seen on TV last night. I don't care if you are 'Joe the Plumber' or 'Bob the Builder' or 'Dan the Doctor'... If you are working hard, building your business, giving your blood, sweat and tears to make it grow... there are always those standing around thinking that they should get the same benefits without the work. And this is fair because???? Why do you spread the wealth to people who aren't willing to work for it? Why have we, as a society, become so lazy and selfish that we think we are owed something without earning it? And how do we think we won't hurt the very people we are wanting to spread the wealth if we take so much away that the person giving can no longer give??? What would happen to the people that need wood if you make it impossible for those great men to get out and cut and split and deliver the wood. Kind of defeats the purpose it seems to me. I thought we lived in a democratic country. The American Dream, and all of that. You know the one... where people know that if they get out and WORK for what they want and they can get it! WORK!!! It's a simple concept. Thayne always tells the kids that hard work cleanses the soul. I think this is what our country is missing.... hard work!!! We don't expect to have to work hard anymore. We expect the other guy to work hard and we will reap the rewards! I think of those that fought for the right to be free, to worship God without fear, to work for what they want and know that they could accomplish anything. And for all they died for, we have become complacent. Too many people sit back and wait for a tax refund when they never paid taxes on their income anyway. This is right how? We had some problems year after year with our income tax returns because they didn't believe all of the kids we claimed were ours, actually were ours! So we had to verify the social security cards for them. As Thayne spent literally hours on the phone with the IRS he told the man he was speaking to that this just seemed like it was prejudicial because we had a large family AND provided for them. The man on the other end of the phone actually told him that if he made $40,000 a year and lived on welfare we would do REALLY well on our taxes. That just didn't seem right to us! So, we are punished for working hard, and yet we are supposed to spread the wealth and enrich the lives of those who think they are owed, something for nothing.
So... it's a relief that I finally figured it out. Who would have thought it would all come together watching a bunch of men cutting wood for somebody else. They did it with a smile on their faces and teasing and joking and general camaraderie and will do it again and again. But I don't think service is the same as 'spreading the wealth'.... and I believe that service is a choice. Something to do to enrich your life and the lives of others. Forcing people to pay the price of others who aren't willing to work as hard isn't right. In fact it seems very, very wrong!
6 comments:
Amen!
There are too many in this country who want a handout. Working hard for something is the only true way of fully appreciating your blessings.
AMEN.
"Share the Wealth" is simply code for "give me your money because *I* know what's best to do with it."
Yep... share the wealth/hand over the money, that's what makes this country tick! ARGH!
I agree with you in principal but I offer this... Bob the builder, Joe the plumber, Wilma the waitress and even Dan the doctor work longer hours, do harder work, and get less appreciation for it than Chad the CEO who inherited daddies bank yet get paid much much less..... If hard work always equaled good pay there would be a big shift in the demographics of the have's and have-nots.
I think it's dangerous to allow ourselves to fall into the thought that if someone is living paycheck to paycheck that means they aren't working as hard as someone who isn't.
Just another side of the block to consider.
Love ya!
Kat
Kat
Kat... I totally agree with you there. We make good money, and still live paycheck to paycheck... that's not the issue at all! But from what I see, it seems foolish to hurt those that aren't necessarily 'rich' but make a decent income but also invest much of that into keeping say, a video store afloat which in turn helps out others. I'm certainly not talking about those that are working their rears off and still not making it... I'm talking about those that think that others should work FOR them while they reap all of the rewards! I heard it somewhere today described as somebody who works like they didn't even show up but expects double time and a half for it! ;)
Kim
In that case, I totally agree with you... The sense of entitlement in this country is apalling.
Kat
Post a Comment