I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Surgery Tomorrow!!!

Jace and I made it to Utah this afternoon and the doctor was very impressed with his healing and we are going ahead with the skin grafts in the morning. He has to be there by 7am and the surgery should take about an hour. It's same day surgery so we should be home by tomorrow evening and then come back Monday and probably Thursday for a check up. The doctor seems fantastic and was very positive about things. We are very anxious for this to be over. It seems like this will be the worst of it and after several days of not moving it at all he will be able to start PT and work on getting his life back!

I have been really struggling with depression and this situation doesn't help any. My heart hurts for Jace. He was the victim... he is the most responsible kid... far and above any kid his age I know. We will get nowhere by placing blame but the truth of the matter, Jace is suffering terribly because of a stupid decision somebody else made... even if it was his brother and even if it was an accident. He would never take a gun out like that.... he has always been so ultra-responsible and my heart aches for his pain, for this trial that he has to walk through right now.... he is so responsible at work, a foreman for a construction company and it is making him crazy that he can't be out there working. Especially since his boss recently had knee surgery and is out of commission too. He has always felt like he has to carry burdens for others, and right now he can barely carry his own. I hurt for him every time he winces. I want to curl up in a ball and cry for the pain he is feeling right now. I know that he was protected... I know that his healing is miraculous in ways that we don't even understand... but he still has to suffer, he still has to endure the pain. It makes me realize even more how our decisions matter.... I think if we can help kids see that choices they often think aren't important or life altering can be huge. I think this has gone a long way in helping a lot of people understand that even the simplest decisions can sometimes have the largest consequences. Sometimes we think little choices don't really matter... but it is usually the little choices that end up being big.

Please keep Jace in your prayers... that the skin grafts may take and that he can continue to heal quickly and fully. We are praying that the surgeon is able to do his job to the best of his ability and that we will see great results very soon!

3 comments:

A homeschool mother to many said...

Prayers are being sent for a good day, healing quickly for all.

God bless,

5moonbeams4us said...

I can't even believe all that you are emotionally going through. No matter what age your children are, they are still our little kids to want to protect from all pain and suffering. I will keep your whole family in my prayers, especially this weekend that healing can continue, both physically and emotionally.

Melanie said...

Kim,
I am so sorry. I hope that Jace makes a quick and complete recovery!
Melanie