I am hoping to actually get some sleep tonight but I wanted to update about Jace's doctor visit before I go to bed... I won't be around this weekend and wanted to do this before I get too busy!
We made it over to see the doctor that did the graft. They took the staples out and said the graft looks great! There are only a couple small places that haven't adhered as great but there shouldn't be any problems with it all healing perfectly. The stitches all came out also. They kept telling us how great it looked. There are a couple of spots that aren't healed as well as most, but that's okay, he's still healing in record time. We got back next Thursday and he will be getting fitted for the 'sleeve' he will wear on his leg while the graft continues to heal and to help cut down on it building up scar tissue. After next Thursday he will start physical therapy to start putting weight on it and learning to walk on it all over again. He was hoping it would be sooner but I say that is pretty good time! He kept teasing the nurse that she wasn't his best friend because she was hurting him and he didn't like her. She teased him right back and threatened to cause real pain... she kept telling him she just didn't understand why he was hurting so badly because the muscle doesn't have nerves and there are no nerve endings in the graft and she poked him right in the middle of the graft and said, "That does NOT hurt does it?" :) He about went through the roof and told her it DID hurt BAD! The doctor came in and said he wanted him to stay off it another week so it would be bullet proof before he put weight on it. Jace said, "Did he just say bullet proof? Really? We started laughing and the nurse he had been teasing said, "We all know you are NOT bullet proof!" He gave her a point for getting him back! His spirits are better. He was teasing Caitlyn and me about how sick we are for taking pictures and looking at it. Then whips out his cell phone and takes a picture to send to his friend Cory because it always grosses him out! Caitlyn has watched it all, not turned away over any of it... but today when the nurse started cleaning the entrance wound, she pulled off the scabbed part and was telling me that I would need to pack that so it would heal from the inside out.... when I looked up at Caitlyn and noticed she had gone white as a ghost... and then her head slumped forward and then her shoulders slumped and I realized she was passing out. I grabbed her and the doctor helped me get her sat down and he grabbed her a drink and she came to and laughed that she thought she was passing out. It was hot in the room and we hadn't eaten all day, but she has been such a trooper. I really think it all just caught up with her, she was there, she held up so well for Jace and for the first time it hit her with force... I mean really... she had watched everything but that little hole made her lose it! I told her she was pretty impressive and that she shouldn't worry about it, it seemed pretty normal for the trauma she had gone through and it was probably better to deal with it and get it all out instead of being so tough and holding it in. We laughed and Jace teased that she was not allowed to do that again because it was supposed to be about him there, not her!!! :) He teased that it was his leg that was messed up and she would have to get her attention another time and way! I told them please no... nothing else!!! This is before the stitches and staples were out and after! Jace says we are all sick for telling him how good it looks. I told him to toughen up, they only took 11 staples out of him... I've been stapled more times than that! :) He said I chose to keep having babies knowing they would have to cut me open and staple me shut! The nurse told him it was always guys around his age that whined the loudest about pain! Coming home I was talking to Buffy and she said if I really wanted to get him I could talk about the other kind of stitches you get after having a baby... in places he just couldn't comprehend!!! hahahaha... I might have to use that one on him if he gets too mouthy! lol The outside of the leg looks absolutely awesome...he'll get there!!!
I am just grateful we are home after a crazy trip. We had FIVE different close calls from truck drivers that must have all missed their morning nap and we are all having a tough time keeping their trucks in their own lane! What a day!!!

1 comment:
Wow, that really doesn't look bad, considering. Hope it heals up nicely, and that Jace's (is it... girlfriend?) holds up under the strain, LOL.
Post a Comment