I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Slurping... we hate slurping

I am OCD... I admit it. I always have been, since I was very small. There were certain things that just make me crazy. I shouldn't be surprised that I am this way. I see things in my parents that are now mine to deal with, and I see things in me that are now manifested in my children. It's just life, the human way... it happens! I joke now that we should have done a DNA background before we got married because our poor kids have too many issues that are theirs to deal with that came from both sides of the family... who knew! haha

There is one thing that just makes me absolutely CRAZY... slurping! I could absolutely lose my mind when I have to eat breakfast with people that slurp their cereal. But I learned a long time ago that it is my problem, not everyone else's... so it's my problem to figure out how to deal with it. I learned to deal by not eating at the same time. And it works okay! But Hayden has the same problem... only probably a hundreds times worse! He makes me crazy every single morning. This morning he was at it again. He is staring his brothers and sisters down because they are slurping! I walked in and stared at him while he ate, laughing the whole time because obviously he doesn't eat any more quietly than the rest of the kids. I just kept laughing and he got put out that I kept looking at him. I told him when he finally becomes perfect then he can complain about everyone else.... but of course if he is perfect he wouldn't find fault in the way everyone else happens to eat! He gave me another dirty look... and I laughed again. He told me that I didn't understand how GROSS it was that they slurped!!! I told him that I absolutely know how gross it is, that is why I don't eat at the same time as everyone else, because it grosses me out.. .but I found out a very long time ago that it was better to remove yourself from situations that make you crazy than to be angry about silly things that don't really matter in the eternal scheme of things!

It is oh so much fun to watch kids go through silly, sometimes stupid mistakes or to struggle with things that you could actually give them advice to help them through! Better to be tolerant and deal with things that don't really matter than to be angry and disgruntled all of the time!!!

2 comments:

Kari said...

I hate slurping too. LOL. :) And God blessed me with four children, two of whom have Asperger's/autism. One child can't stand noises of any kind. The other makes noises all day long. One hates being in the same room with someone who eats slopily. The other one is a very messy eater! I think God must think that they have lessons to learn from each other!... or he has a great sense of humor, or both!

Living My Dream said...

Kari... Jace was just saying that he is absolutely sure that God has a sense of humor when it comes to things like that! We have the same problem at our house... one kid makes obnoxious noises, another can't stand the noises... oh the things we learn from each other!