The on going saga is continuing with Jace and his leg. I am so tired of dealing with doctors... I am even more tired of dealing with doctors that don't seem to care about anything... don't care if they misdiagnose or if they even really treat the patient! After spending all afternoon and the night in the ER in Utah, he was told he had MRSA and there was even talk of surgery. I am not sure how much more clear the convesations with these doctors could have been from the very beginning about his leg and the infection he was dealing with... including a vey swollen lymph node. At one point when the sores were extremely bad on the donor site, they completely ignored his concerns. So after being sent home from our local clinic with a cream for his knee... and being sent home from the ER on an antibiotic... this is what his leg looked like yesterday when we went to see the doctor again... where they asked him why he was back since they have wrote down that they wouldn't see him again until July!!!! It seems that though the doctor told him to come in, he forgot to inform anyone else!


After they finally went in search of notes and the results of the cultures and blood tests and x-rays from the weekend, they tell us that it is NOT MRSA but just
regular staff infection and the doctor kept trying to convince me that everyone has staff and it's really no big deal! I GET that there are lots of gross bacteria
everywhere....but please don't blow this off as normal!!! After waiting about 2 hours the doctor came in and started poking around his knee. He was concerned that there was so much swelling and why in the world was it oozing? Sheesh.... I don't know... hence our DOCTOR visit!! So he starts digging around and suddenly the big Q-Tip looking thing sinks deep into his knee! They are just amazed to discover an absess! They went from telling us it was MRSA and even discussing surgery and last resort talk of amputation
to an absess!!! (Notice how deep the q-tip is in his leg? It's just really gross!)

While Jace was sitting there waiting for the doctor he started squeezing his knee... and out comes this disgusting white thing... then while they were cutting his knee open they got another disgustting something just like this yummy stuff below.....

So they numbed his knee up and then cut into the absess to drain it and relieve the pressure. It was much bigger than they believed it to be in the first place and I was informed yet again that I need to pack the opening morning and night so that it will heal from the inside out! How did I get volunteered for this again???

Dabbing at the blood while they worked on cutting into his knee!

This is the outside of the cut... I get to pack the inside of it every day, twice a day... it's about an inch on each side that has to be packed!

Caitlyn, Kami and Bummy cheesing for the camera while we waited for the doctor...and waited... and waited!!! They think it is interesting to watch crazy doctors practice medicine... and we aren't joking when we say PRACTICE! Hopefully one day these doctors can get it right!!!
4 comments:
My Goodness Kim, can things ever be straightforward and simple for you guys? Thank goodness for Kaitlyn helping so much- with Jace, with the littles... Maybe you need to go back to school and get your RN.. you might be able to "grandfather" in at this point!
I wondered the same thing... doesn't real life experience count for something???
Oh my! I can't believe all the run around you guys are getting. You definitely deserve for healing and for this whole episode to be over soon! Thinking of you all.
Jackie
This is scarry! I certainly admire you being able to assist him in any way to pack this sore. You are probably adding antibiotics to the packing, but I was thinking that you might add some oil of neem to the mix.
I got some at the health food store and used it to heal the hole they made during Mohs surgery to remove a basal cell cancer from just under my nose. I just had my follow up with the dr. and he told me I was a "good healer." The site is just a little pink now, but not too noticeable.
It's just a thought for you; something to consider.
I'm praying for your son to heal.
Post a Comment