It's amazing how quickly the days go by.
And here we are again,
the anniversary of Willie Joe's death.
Thayne and I were talking about that day on Christmas
when we were looking at the words he wrote just months before he died.
I can't believe it has been 24 years.
I always wonder what he would be doing today,
who he would have married.
How many kids would he have now?
Would our kids be friends,
like we were friends...
Would we live close enough that they would be able to.
I can rarely listen to this song without tears,
thinking of all of those we lost too young,
and how much we have missed them in our lives.
I was so blessed to have known Willie.
I will always remember the conversation grandma and I had about his life...
some people are afraid of feeling pain,
and in doing so they must miss out on the joy.
She said that she would have rather had 20 years of knowing him,
and loving him,
and then losing him...
than to have gone a lifetime of never having him.
Isn't that how it should be?
We should be willing to love with all of our heart,
to not fear the pain of loss,
but rejoice in the love that we are blessed with
while we are blessed with it!
Love doesn't ever die.
It stays with us forever.
And like the end of the song says,
"The only thing that gives me hope
"The only thing that gives me hope
is I know I'll see you again someday."
24 years have gone by...
but I have not let his memory disappear.
My kids know him because I loved him
and share him with them now....
that is what love does,
it goes on and on!
I wish I knew the man that you would have been today
but I am so grateful for the fun memories with you
Willie Joe!
Love you... and miss you!
No comments:
Post a Comment