The first day of school around our house rivals Christmas in the excitement department. Don't ask me why! Maybe the kids are thinking, "WHEW, finally getting away from mom again!" Or something! :) Yesterday was the typical day before the first day of school with the flurry of setting out the new clothes, filling the new backpacks, talking about seeing friends they haven't seen all summer, getting their blessings from their dad, and finally, trying to settle down to sleep! After a summer of not much structure, not getting to bed on time, and sleeping in later than normal, the first morning can always be interesting. We have early schedules around here. The older kids are up by 4:30am (well, they made it to 4am this morning) so they can be at seminary by 6am. The little kids usually catch the bus right after 7am and the middle school kids catch the bus at 8:40am. Of course on the first day of school I drive them if they want. I always have one or two that want to ride the bus. Too cool for mom to drive I guess!
I got up at 3am to get Nate a bottle and Kalli comes busting up the stairs telling me she was awake. Sure, I see that! But WHY are you awake??? This wasn't the first time she had been sent back to bed either! I got Thayne off to work right after 4am and wanted to get a few minutes sleep before the madness of the day began! Didn't work. Kids were up and dressed and eating breakfast by 5am. Sheesh kids! Why is the world so unfair? When you could actually sleep, you don't want to, and when you want to, you have children so you can't!!! But the excitement was bubbling over! This was a big year. Hyrum starts kindergarten. He is excited, but a little scared. He is mommy's boy, and leaving mommy for even 2 1/2 hours for something that is mandatory is a little scary. But exciting. I think he didn't want to appear excited, as to not hurt my feelings! (haha) Willie was starting middle school. Kassi is starting high school and Tallin is a senior this year. Big man on campus, oldest boy in charge at home! :) WOW! How is this possible. Didn't I just give birth to all of them???!!!
So... here we go again! Another year has started, and before I blink another year will have passed us by. I love watching my kids grow. I am not one of those moms that stand crying as my kids go off to school. It's tugs at my heart, but I don't cry. Because I love to watch my kids become really incredible human beings, and the only way they can become incredible is if they have experiences that help them grow... sometimes that MAKE them grow! I love to see them becoming all that I dreamed they would be, and more. But I wish sometimes that I can have those days back when I had all of my kids tucked safely in, all under the same roof. I guess it would be wrong to wish I lived on a deserted island where nothing changed, where everything stayed the same. Except, well... it is through the experiences of life that I have become the person that I am, and that have made my children who they are also. So while it may be fun to think of them all as my babies, (and they always will be my babies!) I know that growing up is a necessary, and even exciting part of life! Even the pain is for our good, though sometimes it's hard to understand how!
My little birdies have flown the coop again! It's bound to be another exciting year!!!
Willie going to middle school!!!

Wyatt ready to go!

Hayden getting his 'treat' (Lime Italian Creme Soda)
Kinzee excited about the new school year!!!
Hayden again... enjoying his soda!
Kalli waiting for her yummy soda!

Kailee and Nate before the kids left...
Kailee, Kassi and Tallin the first day of high school... senior year... yippee!!! And an extra kid in front! :)
Hayden happy to be starting school!!
Kalli ready to go! And mommy's boy going to kindergarten! He's not excited about leaving his mommy, sweet boy!
My 4 kids ready to go!!!

4 comments:
how neat. So you have a senior and a kindergartner what are the grades in between.
Wow! They get up at 4am?? What time do they get to bed? I have a feeling your whole family is sleep-deprived! LOL I hope you get some down time with the kids back in school!
Kim, I don't comment on every post, but I read every single one of them. I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy reading about your family. You are such a great writer, and you guys have so many wonderful experiences to write about. Keep feeding our addiction! ;-)
Jackie (from BBC Aug 04 board)
Yeah! Off to school...only a few left at home now!
I am currently going through trama at school with Emma. I so want to call you and vent...I hate pre-teen girls and their I love you/I hate you drama. And parents who think it's a good idea to talk to everyone ELSE in the neighborhood and school about it except YOU!!!
Wow. I am madder than I thought. LOL
I wish your kids all a drama free year!!!!
Kim - very cute kids - the first day is so exciting, but I am always glad for the first weekend to regroup/catch up. We don't start until after labor day, except dd19 in college.
I have a beginning HS dd and a ds starting K too. I asked him the other day if it was ok if I cried when he went to school and he said "no", why? "cause I'm coming back" I am not usually the weepy one either, but can't beleive my 2nd to youngest is starting, I'm sure the oldest just did...
Post a Comment