I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Friday, May 8, 2009

A conversation...

The other day I ran into Kevin's mom. I haven't seen her for a while but have thought a lot about her in the past couple of months. She stopped and asked about Jace and told me how worried she had been and how much she has thought about him, and that she had called him briefly while he was at the hospital but that Jace had sounded a little out of it when she called. I told her what was going on, and then I felt a very strong impression that I should share with her what had happened in our family two weeks before the accident and right about the time of the anniversary of his death. We both shed tears over knowing that Kevin was here, and that he is still involved in the lives of those he loved. But then she said that about the same time, she woke up with a feeling that she had been kissed on the cheek. It was a physical feeling, so strong and so real that she thought it had been Kevin's younger brother. She said for 3 years she hasn't felt Kevin's presence at all but she knew without a doubt that it was Kevin. She then told me that the moment she heard about Jace she knew that Kevin had come back in order to help and be there for Jace. I told her that many times over those first few days I knew that Jace had been given some heavenly help and that I had felt that when Kevin had told Kailee to take care of his buddy, that it was going to be a rough weekend, that he hadn't necessarily been talking about the weekend of Kevin's death, but 2 weekends later he would be given a miracle, and then more miracles.

She told me that there hadn't been many that could comfort her over those first weeks and months of Kevin's death, but that Jace, like another son to her, and helped carry her through and what an extraordinary man he is. I feel the same way. I feel blessed to be the mother of a young man that knows enough, and cares enough to carry us through times that make us wonder if we will be able to get through it all. We both stood in the entrance of the grocery store with tears streaming down our faces. But I am grateful that there are other mothers who love my children too... and that we can all help carry each other's burdens in times like we have went through over the past 3 years. And though it sounds weird... I am grateful that the first time Kevin was allowed to come back, he came to help his best buddy! Because I know that he did. I felt it, and now I know that others felt it also!

No comments: