So I get a phone call from Thayne this morning and he told me to not worry, that I might hear that there were miners trapped underground and that there was an explosion, but do NOT worry. Garrett is in the rescue chamber and he is fine and it is a non-issue and they are just getting the mine cleared so do NOT worry! Um... okay, gee, that is a fine wake up call! He told me not to tell Tiffany yet, or my friend Melissa whose husband was with Garrett also. He told me he was able to see them, and everyone was accounted for and fine, that they followed procedures perfectly and he would get them home safe and sound! A couple of hours later he told me I could call and let them know that all is well and that they are preparing to get them safely out of the mine!
The one thing about Thayne is that he feels a great responsibility for those men underground... whether it is his own son, or anyone else. First and most of all, he wants them all to go home safely at the end of each shift!
It's almost comical how stories start and grow out of control. They were safe, they were not in danger and there was no nuclear type explosion that was enough to put the National Guard on alert... I repeat it was NOT like that! The guys were safe, some of them were asking, "Is this a test?" No... this is not a test, I repeat, this is not a test... get to the refuge chambers now. You know, the mine invested millions of dollars in these chambers, the least they can do is use it when they need it!!! :) And they invested in this tracking system that allows them to know where the men are at all times, they can follow them around the mine, kind of like big brother.... we know where you are, you cannot hide! :)
So for 5 + hours they got to hang out and enjoy modern technology. Once Thayne was able to call into the chamber and talk to Garrett the guys teased him that all is well... the boss' son is in the chamber so you know they will be rescued! I had no doubt and Thayne was calm as could be so I knew all was well. This is where they got to hang out and tell stories, and now they have some great stories to share! :) These chambers are there in case of fires, explosions, ground falls, gasses and any other scary thing that could happen underground. It is there to save lives. I am so very grateful that they didn't need to actually save any lives today, but I am also grateful to know that it is there in case they needed it. I wish the general public knew and understood the work these men do at the mines... what they provide for the very basic comforts of our lives! And I am grateful that the mine Thayne runs is willing to invest in their men and do what they can to make sure that every man goes home safe every night! And that my 'baby' boy is home safe and sound with his sweet wife right now!!!

5 comments:
Kim, I am so glad that they are all ok. Even though they have chambers, I am sure that is still scary.
Wow! To those of us who don't deal with the mine stuff every day, it still sounded very scary! Glad there was no real emergency and everyone is OK.
It blows me away the risks that those guys take everyday. We are so grateful for miners and what they do.
Garrett says that it was kinda of a cool experience(knowing that there wasnt hardly any danger, but dont worry he got the two Headings supplied for his boss
Hi Kim,remember me from BC large family board?Went looking for old gang on the board-how sad after all those years-since I was ttc # 6.Wow!Wondered how you and your family were doing.So sorry to hear of your son`s accident but glad he is okay.God is good!Congrad`s on your great news of a grandbaby-can`t believe your son is married.Time sure flies!!
I wanted to let you know my last cection[#12] went good since we had that in common-thought you`d like to know-and my daughter is almost 4 months already.
What I`d like to know is how you get these great photos of your family-I take about 25 shots and am lucky to get them all in the picture let alone looking so nice all at once!Lisa-mom to 13 blessings
Post a Comment