I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Working on Food Storage

We found some great deals on wheat, rice, flour, and oatmeal and powdered milk so Tiffany, Garrett, Thayne and I ran over to Salt Lake and filled the back of a truck full. We also hit Costco and got some stuff there also. We are working hard to get our year's supply bought and we have a long way to go. It seems that every time we get a good jump on it, something happens and we end up living on it, which is technically how it should be... but we are really wanting to get the wheat and other bulk items that we have been counselled by our church leaders to have. It is going to take a LOT of work and a LOT of commitment to accomplish that, especially considering how many people we are trying to get it for, but we feel like it is really important to do it and to follow the counsel because it will be a great blessing in our lives.

I had a conversation about food storage recently. Some people think that it is stockpiling... but we aren't doing it to have something that others don't have. We are trying to be prepared for whatever comes in the future AND as we are prepared we are able to bless the lives of others. That is what this life is all about! That's how we try to live everyday. My sister in law and brother bought a year's supply of food. She said her family tease that they don't have to do anything because she already has. I guess that is the typical thought of most everyone if you really listen to people today! They think that there is no need to prepare because somebody else will take care of them. There is great peace in knowing that you are doing what you can to provide for your own. So we are doing what we can a little at a time!

Of course now we are going to be busy getting all of this into buckets... but it is bought and sitting in the garage right now! Waiting for the buckets to be delivered now!


1 comment:

Lara said...

I love to hear what you are doing to work on food storage. It is such an overwhelming task when you have a really big family. We are up to nine kids now and it overwhelms me to think of how much we actually need to be storing. I appreciate seeing that you are chipping away at it - makes me feel like I'm not alone!! Thanks for sharing!!