I never knew how much love a heart could hold, until they called me mom

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Chest tube OUT!!!

His chest tube was removed!!! I have to say that it was disgusting. It looked really freaky just sitting there before they pulled it out, a hole in his chest with a tube coming out. YUCK!! But his oxygen has been great, his respiration good, he's comfortable now and we only have the PICC line in which will be in for the next month they say. I am not looking forward to going home with it in, but if it is for the best, how can I complain. I just am not looking forward to home health again for a once a day antibiotic. One doctor says I can do it myself, another says something different. I will surely get to the bottom of this though.


Now we just have to work on eating. He eats small amounts, and ounce or two every couple of hours. The goal is to get him eating normally again. They talked about an NG tube at night. I told them I won't compromise his health but PLEASE let's not go that route if we can help it. I am up all night anyway, I will just work on feeding him all night. Last night wasn't a great night. We had a new nurse. By new I mean young and new to nursing. After all the bragging I did about Rose, we got a not so careful nurse that seemed to barge in every 2 hours and have him crying. I am thinking she is just very young and doesn't have any kids and probably thought I was an overly protective mommy... she would give him the whole dose of meds at once and he would gag and choke. I told her that even when he doesn't have a throat full of mucus we have to give him meds slowly... I finally just told her I would do the meds. It was just not a good deal. But I will let them know that tonight I will be caring for him and they just need to bring me his food on demand!!!


I kind of feel like my mind is going to explode sitting here hour after hour. On both sides there are crying babies. And they have cried for hours. LITERALLY!!! I can't stand to hear my babies cry... I feel so bad for the little ones that I am sure are miserable. It's breaking my heart. We got Nate a sponge bath and he is settled and napping so I think I might go for a walk and see if I can unclog my brain. The hours and days seem to slip by until I don't know what day it is... I need to get out for a minute! Thank goodness Rose is here to take care of him!


And of course I have to add a picture for brothers and sisters... here he is smiling at me after I fed him. He is laughing and being cute and I am so grateful to see his cute sense of humor coming back!

3 comments:

WaMommy said...

Horray!!!!

Anonymous said...

continued prayers for you little man!! He has such a great smile.

Nurse Heidi said...

Hooray for losing more medical stuff! The fewer the tubes the better!

As far as the PICC line goes, my friend was allowed manage the 4 times a day antibiotics on her own for her baby girl. I'd really push for it - you've already managed his tube and oxygen in the past, and it's not that big of a deal to learn how to take care of the PICC.