Nate did well in PICU yesterday and a little before midnight we were told that they had a huge trauma night headed their way and we would be moving back up to the 3rd floor instead of waiting until morning so they could have the room. Sometime after midnight we got settled and Nate was wide awake when we finally left to try to get a little sleep. I will be staying here with him at night after Thayne goes home. We stayed at the Ronald McDonald house the last two nights. I am dreading being here alone. I just want this little man healed up and ready to go home!!!
He's still really swollen which they say is normal. The drainage from the chest tube slowed in the night. He should be getting another chest x-ray today to see if the fluid is going down, or gone. I hope it works quickly so that he can get the chest tube out. It causes him a lot of discomfort and pain. He had another fever last night but they aren't as high, aren't as often and don't take much to break. He's waking up a little more which is good but he still won't smile. I guess we will know he is on the mend when he finally smiles at us. The nurse said she finally put his monkey in his arms last night and he settled in and slept comfortably with monkey. Although the picture of him here with his monkey he doesn't look happy... the pain meds have worn off and he is hurting pretty bad. I just hate knowing that he is in pain.
Jace is coming over today. He can't stand being away from Nate any longer. Tanner and my parents are coming too.
Well... before I could finish this I have seen a couple of doctors and nurses and have a little more information. They identified the infection. It is a strep pneumonia and she said there was nothing we could have done to prevent it. It's not even one they can vax against. They are going to put a PICC line in because he will be taking antibiotics for quite a while. Something new I get to learn to take care of. They took the tube out that was draining the contents of his stomach and we will be trying to feed him on clear liquids soon. Hopefully he can eat enough but if not he will get NG feedings for a while. He at least has had his eyes open today... acknowledged us and his face lit up as he hears his sister or brother on the phone, but he is still one sick little boy. I wish I could just wish away the next week and have him better, but it doesn't sound like he will be completely better for some time. He's our little trooper though and we are grateful for the tiny steps.



6 comments:
I'm a fellow Babycenter member and just wanted you to know your family is my prayers...praying for total healing for Nate.
It eases my mind to hear that Nate is starting to mend. Call me whenever you feel like a break.
Talitha
I know it is rough, just keep loving that precious little boy.
Praying for your sweet little man,we all praying for you in South Texas.We love you all.
Nancy
Oh Kim, I'm glad to hear that Nate is doing better. I can't believe you are back at the hospital yet again. It's just so incredible.
We are praying for your family.
Oh, I hope he gets better soon!!!He really is an amazing child!!!
Post a Comment