My sister is 7 years younger than me. We have always loved each other, but we haven't always been super close. We are now. Her husband works for Thayne and we go out quite often and well.... she is the friend I always hoped she would be. We couldn't be more different if we tried, and yet, we are a lot alike. We share the same parents, that's enough to make us companions and friends. Who else can worry about parents like sisters can??!! In March of 2002 my sister became a widow. I have never hurt for another soul like I did that night for her. She called me while she was sitting alone waiting for them to come and get his body. We cried. I experienced something that is hard to explain. I felt what she was feeling. It wasn't empathy, or even sympathy. For a few moments in time I felt her emotions as clearly as she was feeling them. We talked about some strange things on the phone in the middle of the night. She was there, looking at the body of the man she had loved since she was 16 years old. He had been my brother from the time we met because we knew that they were meant to be together. He had been Thayne's brother. They had so much in common. I will never forget that night.
So, 7 years later and I have watched her go through so many things, go through so manyt changes. Struggle with her anger and grief. She has made mistakes, she has grown. And she has become a friend to me in a way that nobody else ever could. She holds a place in my heart like nobody ever can, because she is my only sister. She is the only one that truly understands some things.
Yesterday she sent me the first chapters of the book she is writing. I read it and cried. But I smiled because, well... my little sister is really talented!!! She's amazing. She walked through the fire. She got burned along the way. But she is still standing. And I am proud of her!!!
2 comments:
Okay I am crying as I read this!! It hits home hard for me because my sis and I have that same relationship and I miss her.
Veronica... if you want me to forward the first couple of chapters I will... you would totally be bawling!!! :) We REALLY need to do lunch one of these days!
Kim
Post a Comment