Open mouth, insert foot! I have to say I just don't understand people sometime. It would seem that we are only allowed to have children if we can guarantee their health.
We had to make another dreaded trip to the DMV today. Thayne got home early from work and I met him there after taking Nate to the doctor (which is another post... the poor little guy has some horrible virus that is going around that includes high fevers and terrible sores in his throat. He's in so much pain that the doctor prescribed Tylenol w/codeine in hopes that he will be able to eat something). I see an older lady that used to come to Curves all of the time when I worked there. She had been looking the other way when I came in and ran for the bathroom while Thayne took the Tahoe for the VIN inspection. I got in the ridiculous line to start the musical chairs (see past DMV post if you want to know about the wonderful system they have) waiting game. I thought I heard her say something to her husband about me, and I'm pretty sure I heard him say several times "so she's CRAZY!" but I'm not totally sure! Nate was burning up with fever and his medicine was wearing off by the time we made it to the counter so I walked away and then was standing over by the lady. I said hi, asked her how she was doing. She then says, "You have another one?" I say yes. She says, "And HOW many does this make for you?" I say 15! Now I am just not feeling the love for her much. She always had an opinion about me having children at Curves but it's okay, I'm pretty thick skinned. But this was in public and LOUD! She is waiting for her son that I'm pretty sure is older than me to get his license. Ummmmm hmmmmm... not saying anything but ;) well, who's to talk about a crazy lady with 15 kids!!! She then stands up waiting for her husband and son and says, "So, are you finally going to be DONE with him?" Now... I have to say that I become like a teenager when somebody says that to me and just automatically say, "Not sure, probably not!" She then says, "Well, I guess as long as they're healthy!" I was kind of floored by that. I know a lot of people who have ONE child that wasn't born 'healthy' so I just looked blankly at her and said, "Oh, actually we have had a whole bunch of health problems with him and almost lost him at 3 1/2 weeks. He spent 4 1/2 months on a feeding tube and still sleeps with a monitor and oxygen....And we just got done at the doctor because he has some funky virus and is burning up with a fever right now, but he's sure precious to us and we wouldn't trade him for the world!!!" Then I said, "And he wasn't planned... we pretty much thought we were done before him, so who's to ever say never because you just never know!" :) Now she is fumbling for words... telling me God must have had a different plan for us and uh, oh, uh.... I said, "Yes He did, and we are thankful for it because he sure healed some hearts at our house!" I really didn't say it mean, I was just blown away by the implication that it's alright for me to keep having babies as long as they are healthy, as if a child that is less than perfect is unwanted!!! And it was very much implied by the tone of her voice! Who's to say what perfection is anyway! I was very serious about Nate healing hearts here. Before he was born, Jace was still struggling from the suicide of his best friend. It didn't matter that it had almost been two years, he still never really smiled. You know, that smile that goes all the way to your eyes, the kind that says you are really happy! And then we had Nate. When we were flown to the Children's Hospital, Jace came and stayed. He stayed with his brother, encouraged the little man to keep fighting, fought with him and is truly happy again. Nate adores him. Nate's face lights up just as bright as Jace's does when they see each other. Nate was sent here for more reasons than I can even count. So even if he did eat through a tube, even if he still pukes milk in my hair after his morning feeding, even if he sleeps with oxygen... he's still very much perfect in our eyes!!!
10 comments:
Kim I hope you don't mind but I love reading your blog. The way you so eloquently talk about your husband and kids brings tears to my eyes. I hope with the help of our Lord I can be a good mom learning from wonderful people like you. (you are one of my top inspirations:-)
Love Jan (2003 Jan BBC military mommy)
Hey this is Kate, thelaw23 or wifeoftwomomofthree from BBC can I please have your email address? I have to tell you some things you really are not going to believe about me and you. Yes I said me and you. I told you I felt we were close but couldn;t put my finger on it well now I can a little better. PLease send me your email address mine is thelaw23@yahoo.com or my blog is www.ourhappylittleworld.blogspot.com
Hope I didn't freak you out or anything. It has nothing to do with creepy stalker things just things I realized about the 2 of us from your post about your sister that had me crying. wanted to clarify to keep you from being scared! lol.
Hi, I'm a first time reader.....I ONLY have five children, but get the same reactions. I also get offended by the "as long as they are healthy" mentality. I always reply with NO we take them unhealthy too.
Kim- I love reading your blog. The love you have for your family is so strong. It is crystal clear that each child holds a special place in your heart. I am thankful you & Thayne have been able to have the large family you do. If babies can't come to my home, I'm glad they have a place in yours!
-hugs-
fav auntie
Kim,
How sad for this women,she doesn't even know.
Good for you mama! I often hear "you are so blessed to have 6 healthy kids" and as pleasant as that is I always think that means that somehow Alex wasn't a blessing because he wasn't healthy.... yet we feel extremely blessed to have known him, if even for a short time.
I hope Nate gets to feeling better very soon!
Kat
Way to go Mama Bear!
I once had a lady tell me people like me were why her own daughter couldn't have children. Huh? I guess my womb took them all? lol.
I just feel sorry for that dumb woman!
Kim- I KNOW i haven't had as many comments as you...but I know how it makes you feel when people say stuff. I do hope you get a few comments on how wonderful large families are :) (I think they are so neat!).
Oh, and I hope Nate gets better!!
Post a Comment